Dragonfly 2 - Floor Beyond repair - Options ?

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

rake

Dragonfly 2 - Floor Beyond repair - Options ?

Post by rake » Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 am

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to get one of these lovely kayaks but the floor has bulged and 8 ribs are now 5.

So I have been told that one can change the floor for a Lagoon 2 foam floor.

Is this the best option and if so, does it need sticking in or can I cut out the existing floor as per the thread below and then replace with the foam floor from the lagoon 2 which is available as a spare ?

Other options include the floor from the DF2 XC or even the floor from a AdvancedFrame floor with the existing main bladder.

Many thanks in advance elements of any replies and images (excuse the pun).

Kind regards

Ron.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu May 15, 2014 10:04 am

Options:
1. Leave existing floor attached and do not inflate. Cover with Foam floor from DF2XC. You will also need new seats from the AE1033-O Lagoon 2
2. Cut out existing floor and replace with foam floor from DF2XC. You will also need new seats from the AE1033-O Lagoon 2 (best option. Cheapest and will decrease the overall weight of the kayak)
3. Cut out existing floor and replace with Drop Stitch floor for Expedition model AEDS1009. You would use existing seats.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm

I'd go with the second suggestion by JCooley - -that's what i intend to do now that my 7-year-old single Dragonfly has a floor with 5 ribs merged out of 8.

mayaqatsi

Dragonfly 2 - overinflated floor chambers merged

Post by mayaqatsi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:37 am

Hi,

We have the same problem with merged chambers due to overinflated floor on the Dragonfly 2...and I had a few followup questions about JCOOLEY's fix suggestions:
1. Would foam floor from Lagoon 2 also be okay?
Are seat replacements really necessary? We're in Europe and advancedelementskayaks.co.uk do not have Lagoon 2 seat spares or DF2XC foam floors anymore. I was able to locate seats that are said to be compatible with AdvancedFrame et Straitedge (would that work?) but at €79/seat, it considerably increases the cost of this option
2. Is it really necessarily to cut out -- can we just not remove the floor bladder?
3. While trying to locate a drop stitch floor, I came across this site which says that the Expedition DS floor is not compatible with the AE1003 Dragonfly2 model
http://www.airkayaks.com/advanced-eleme ... tch-floor/
How would it not be compatible?

And a final question, came across a floor with part number 08-1033-O-FOAM but with a description that it is a bladder and not foam -- what is it?

Thanks a ton!
JCOOLEY wrote:Options:
1. Leave existing floor attached and do not inflate. Cover with Foam floor from DF2XC. You will also need new seats from the AE1033-O Lagoon 2
2. Cut out existing floor and replace with foam floor from DF2XC. You will also need new seats from the AE1033-O Lagoon 2 (best option. Cheapest and will decrease the overall weight of the kayak)
3. Cut out existing floor and replace with Drop Stitch floor for Expedition model AEDS1009. You would use existing seats.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 am

1. Lagoon2 Foam Floor will work.
2. If you do not get the Lagoon2 seats, you will be sitting very low in the kayak since there is no inflatable floor any more. It is much harder to paddle when you are sitting very low. You can keep the seats you have but it is suggested you put some sort of 2-4 inch padding underneath to lift you up. AdvancedFrame and Straitedge seats will not work with the kayak because there is no where to clip the side buckles into.
3. The reason it says it does not work with the AE1003-O Dragonfly2 model is because there is already the inflatable floor in it. If you cut out the floor, then the dropstitch floor will work.
4. You do not need to cut out the floor if you don't want to. If you do though, it will make your kayak lighter.
5. Don't know where you got that model number 08-1033-O-FOAM from. It would help if you named the site where you saw this.

mayaqatsi

Post by mayaqatsi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 am

Wow -- thanks a lot for the lightning-speed-and-really-helpful replies!!!

This is where I got the part number 08-1033-O-FOAM which has the descirption "vessie plancher" = floor bladder (model number is in the picture -- click to enlarge)
http://www.nootica.com/spare-part-advan ... oon-2.html

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:11 am

I see. I am guessing that they just mean the floor since there is no bladder.
I am not familiar with our European retailers as that all goes through a distributor located in Denmark.
I do not know if they actually have parts or not.
You would have to speak with them directly.
Best thing to do is contact our distributor directly.
http://www.luftkajak.com/