Function of DF2 "Tracking Fin"

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

padavius

Function of DF2 "Tracking Fin"

Post by padavius » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi All,

I just bought a DF2, and have used it on 3 different occasions. The "tracking fin" on the bottom arrived bent to one side, and as much as I've tried to bend it the other way to even it out, it tends to return to the original, bent-to-one-side position.

My DF2 does not track very well. This could very well be due to my inexperience with kayaking in general, and with this new boat in particular. Or it could be due to the bent "tracking fin." I think it's the former, but I wondered if others (with more experience than me) have had a bent tracking fin, as well, without having any noticeable tracking problems.

(An aside: The tracking fin looks a whole lot like an immobile skeg, which, to my understanding, does not function in tracking. Am I wrong?)

Many thanks for any insight into this.

paddy

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:51 am

Paddy,

The fin won't affect tracking that much. To get it in more of a straight position, leave the kayak upside down out in the sun for a little while. It should straighten out a little more. Usually from being folded up, it gets a little bent.
If you are paddling the 2 person solo, the front will dart back and forth more than if paddling tandem. Put a ballast in the fron to weigh it down more. If you are paddling tandem, it is typically a matter of getting your paddle strokes in sync. Most people paddle harder on one side than the other as well, so you may have to compinsate. Paddle a little softer with your strong side.

Jeremy
8)