Sooo...My DragonFly2 didn't come with a manual

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

solids

Sooo...My DragonFly2 didn't come with a manual

Post by solids » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:52 pm

....any tips for a newbie that you can think of off the cuff? I am downloading and printing the .pdf but I am more curious to learn from the first hand knowledge of others. I'm new to the inflatable world so bear with me.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:06 pm

What is the exact model number and the Hull ID #. If it is a new kayak the manual shoul be located in a clear plastic sleeve on the inside of the bag. If it is an older model, it would be located in the mesh pocket on the kayak.

Jeremy
8)

solids

Post by solids » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I'll pull the number in a bit. It is an '08 model but I did agree to take the 'unboxed' version from austinkayaks.com for a discount. It has the foam floor, which I must admit feels vastly different that any other inflated floors that I have experienced...just a thin layer of foam between you and the abyss :D

I'm thinking that it was a floor model is why there is no manual. The .pdf here at the site only seems to be referencing the old model in print (inflated floor) but the pictures seem to alternate between the two variations

PJohanson

tips for a newbie

Post by PJohanson » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:01 pm

The first tip I'd suggest is to learn a bit about the place you plan to paddle your Dragonfly 2. My home bay, for example, is a perfect place to paddle my Dragonfly, yet just outside the point the breeze is always stronger than inside the bay. A Dragonfly catches the wind like a kite, so I'm careful when leaving the bay. Also, there are currents just outside my home bay that easily exceed my maximum paddling speed. Your home waters may have poisonous lion's mane jellyfish like I saw last week, or alligators like a friend of mine passes in Florida rivers. Learn a little about the natural conditions and the other boaters in your area, and you'll have a much safer time than if you blithely launch during a 20-minute slack at Skookumchuck, a reversing tidal rapids.
The other main tip is to tip over your Dragonfly 2 in safe conditions, so you know what it feels like. After practising falling out and getting back in, I became a lot more confident in my Dragonfly. Wet exits and recoveries are important in any kayak, but I think theyr'e especially important in these inflatables because of the shape of these boats.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Start with the valve closest to the stern. Make sure that the stem in the valve is closed or popped up. This is the inflate position. Inflate it until the kayak begins to take some shape. The move to the valve in front of that one and inflate until kayak is firm. Caution! It is very important that you do not continue to pump air into the kayak after it is firm. The recommended psi is 1.5psi. I strongly suggest getting a pump with a gauge to help you. If you get a pump with a gauge though, the only way to get an accurate reading is to leave the valve in the deflate/or open position. Once it has reached desired psi, quickly remove the pump and close the valve by pushing the stem in and turning it with yoiur finger. You can then pump a few more pumps into it to top it off. After you have inflated the two main valves, you can move to the smaller valves located around the cockpit and also the deck lifts that run under the cover. These only take a few pumps each. Then inflate the seat cushions.
If you need further assistance, let me know. You can email me as well.

Jeremy
8)

solids

Re: tips for a newbie

Post by solids » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm

PJohanson wrote:The first tip I'd suggest is to learn a bit about the place you plan to paddle your Dragonfly 2.

The other main tip is to tip over your Dragonfly 2 in safe conditions, so you know what it feels like. After practising falling out and getting back in, I became a lot more confident in my Dragonfly. Wet exits and recoveries are important in any kayak, but I think theyr'e especially important in these inflatables because of the shape of these boats.
good point...I'm in the North east so frequent trips to local river/lake (nothing too fast moving) and occasional trip to Finger Lakes plus Carolina intercoastals are the plan...

First inflation went well but I didn't push the boundaries of air limits...I need to get a feel for the inflation levels...

Also, I appreciate the non judgmental nature of this forum....there are others that are quick to jump a newbie so this is refreshing...