AE Lagoon 2 (special REI model?) - water in the boat!

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

vertex

AE Lagoon 2 (special REI model?) - water in the boat!

Post by vertex » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Hello everybody,

I bought the Lagoon 2 from REI and had the chance to take it out 4 times so far on rather smooth lakes. On the last 3 rides I noticed that after about 1.5 miles water starts to collect around my bottom in the back of the boat.
I don't have a spray skirt but I have a hard time believing that this quantity of water is from "paddle drip/run off" only.
Anybody else experiencing water leaks with this boat?
Should I seal the seams with something like seam grip?

Thanks for your help!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:10 pm

You will be suprised by how much water can sometimes drip off of a paddle. If there is quite a bit of water, typically it has to do with the kayak being under inflated. Make sure that you have enough pressure in it. The black line along the center side of the kayak shouldn't be lower than the water line. If it is, it is because the kayak is under inflated or the weight capacity has been exceded.

Jeremy

vertex

Post by vertex » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:You will be suprised by how much water can sometimes drip off of a paddle. If there is quite a bit of water, typically it has to do with the kayak being under inflated. Make sure that you have enough pressure in it. The black line along the center side of the kayak shouldn't be lower than the water line. If it is, it is because the kayak is under inflated or the weight capacity has been exceded.

Jeremy
So I guess the only way to prove the "drip theory" is to buy a spray skirt, right?

Interesting that you mention the black line and under-inflation. I noticed that on the right side this black line was very close/part of the time under the water line. It seemed as if the inflatable tubes weren´t aligned quite right within the orange/gray hull. I will check on that the next time.

I still find it tricky to inflate this 2-chamber-system. Do you use pumps with a manometer to evenly inflate the boat?

Concerning the weight limit: my girlfriend and me will maybe come within 10 lbs of the suggested 350 lbs, but will definitely not exceed it.

Best regards

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:22 am

There are pumps available with gauges on them to help with the inflation process. If you are using a pump without a gauge here is how to do it and a good rule of thumb.
Start with Chamber 1. Inflate until the kayak takes shape and has risen off of the ground.
Switch to Chamber two. Inflate until kayak is full. No need to go back to chamber one.
You can then pick up the kayak from either end. If there is a lot of bending or folding in the middle of the kayak, then you do not have enough pressure in it. Go back to either chamber and put more air into it.
The gray sleeve cover that surronds the tube will let the tube only expand so far so it makes it a little harder to over inflate the main chambers.
From your title heading it says you got the REI special Laggon2. I am assuming this is the one that comes with a completely open cockpit? We do not have a spray skirt for it because the coaming that goes around the cockpit opening makes it a little more difficult to attache one to. You could check with a company that specializes in spray skirts and see if they have anything but I am fairly sure they won't because it is such a large opening. Skirts are mainly made for smaller openings.
As I mentioned before, you will be suprised how much water can get into the boat sometimes from certain paddles. We just went out the other day and tried six different paddles. One in particular splashed a lot more water into the kayak than the others. The shape of the blade and poor drip rings caused it to do this. Over a good hour or more of paddling, the water that splashed off of the paddle can add up.
I hope this helps you out a little more.

Jeremy
8)

vertex

Post by vertex » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks very much for your elaborate inflation instructions, which should prove very helpful next time. One more question though: why does the manual emphasize not to over-inflate the inset of the boat (the part you're sitting on)? Does it have to do with passenger weight pressure or overall boat performance?

You are right about the model. Too bad there's no spray skirt. Maybe I will improvise a little bit and use a 2nd set of drip rings in combination with a towel over the legs, which might soak up some of the water.

Greetings :D

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:58 pm

vertex wrote:One more question though: why does the manual emphasize not to over-inflate the inset of the boat (the part you're sitting on)? Does it have to do with passenger weight pressure or overall boat performance?

If the floor "inset" is over inflated, you will end up with one large lump of a floor that is uncomfortable to sit on. If you notice, there are ridges in the floor. The parts of the ridges that are pinched together and welded are called I-beams. If the floor is over inflated, the I-beams can seperate. Usually only one does but basically this makes two of the ridges combine together creating a much larger ridge. The kayak will still function as normal for the most part but it is very uncomfortable to sit on. When inflating, you are not going for a very hard or rigid floor. You should be able to apply moderate pressure with your finger and still touch the bottom of the kayak.
If the kayak is also left out in the sun exposed for a long period of time, the floor can also over inflate. The hot sun causes the air inside the tubes to expand. Over time they can explode on their own if left out. If you are leaving it out in the sun, be sure to let some air out of the kayak first so that there is room inside the tubes for the air to expand. Make sure you bring a pump along with you so that you can reinflate the kayak if to much air is let out.

Jeremy
8)

vertex

Post by vertex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 am

I found this at a big American sports equipment retailer. I guess, this would at least minimize the opening a little bit or does it not fit the REI Lagoon2 at all? In case it does fit, spray skirts would be then attachable?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:16 am

That is actually the AE2022 Double Deck Conversion for our Advanced Frame Convertible model. It zips onto the open cockpit of the Convertible and therefore would not work with the Special Lagoon2. Sorry :(

Jeremy
8)

vertex

Post by vertex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Darn...well, thanks for your quick replies so far!