Inflation valve?

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bballjonsie

Inflation valve?

Post by bballjonsie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi all. I just bought this kayak from a demo sale. I did not buy the AE pump to go with it, got a cheaper dual action hand pump off amazon. My problem is that with the other pumps it looked like there was a valve that screwed on to assist with inflation. Currently I am losing a lot of air between being able to take off the pump hose and seal the tube. Any suggestions? Can I just buy the inflation valve that screws on?

Thanks.

Shawn

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm

There should be a screw-on adapter in the repair kit in the bag.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm

The adapter may not have been included, if this was a demo, but you can certainly get the adapter from Advanced Elements

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm

The spring valve adapter is located in your repair kit, however, it will not fit on most aftermarket pumps. Also, since it is a demo kayak, the repair kit may not even be there anymore. Your best best is to buy an AE pump.

You can email a picture of the end of your pump hose to customer service, and they can see if the spring valve adapter will fit. But, it probably won't.

info@advancedelements.com

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm

It's true that the adapter may not fit an aftermarket pump but, in my experience, the adapter can be adapted to almost any pump with a little imagination. Just a suggestion in case you are so inclined. I adapted mine to a bicycle pump just to top up my tubes in case I had to let some air out of them due to heat expansion. It's much easier to store on my AdvancedFrame, which has limited cargo space.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 am

First: From your description, when you are pumping, you have the valve in the deflate position!
If you remove the pump attachment that you are using, from the valve, and air escapes from the valve, then that means the valve is in the open "deflate" position.
Before you inflate, the main valve(s) need to be in the closed "inflate" position. The valve is spring loaded so that when you push air into it, the air forces the plunger open but when you stop pumping air, the spring loaded plunger closes to prevent air from coming back out.
As long as you are doing this correctly, then you will not have any problems using the pump attachment that you currently have as long as it is a snug fit when pressed inside the main valve(s) and over the smaller Twist Valves.

bballjonsie

Post by bballjonsie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:26 am

Thank you for all the tips. I will check my repair kit and the valve position.