Advanced Frame Sport Question

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

upacreek

Advanced Frame Sport Question

Post by upacreek » Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 am

I'm an avid fisherman about to purchase a inflatable kayak due to transportation and storage restraints.

Will the AF Sport hold up to daily use? For me $500 dollars is a lot of money to spend so I don't want to buy something that wont be working 3-5 years down the road.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 pm

I'd say, do yourself a favor and go for the AdvancedFrame instead. Not much more money, but an overall better choice.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes, an Advanced Elements kayak should hold up to daily use for at least three years.
I have a smaller model, an older version of the Lagoon, which is coming up on seven years of regular use two to four times a week in temperatures ranging from 0Celsius/32F to 30Celsius/90F. I also have an Expedition and a StraitEdge2, three years old.
These boats are well-made and are able to handle a lot of use. I recommend them all the time to my friends, family, and strangers on the beach who say, "Wow! Is that an inflatable? It looks like a Folboat or a Feathercraft folding kayak. I bet it cost a lot... no, really, was that all? Where can I get one?"
I spray the outside of the kayaks with 303 Protectant once a year. I keep them in a shady porch, out of the sunlight. If you live in a very hot and sunny climate, read notes on the forum about being careful not to over-inflate the kayak. Never drag the kayak on the ground, even on soft sand.
A fisherman might prefer the sit-on-top style of the StraitEdge instead of the Sport. For a lower price, consider a Lagoon if you are a medium-sized person.