The true test

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NaturalPath

The true test

Post by NaturalPath » Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 am

I have to say, I'm not the type of person who jumps on bandwagons as a cheerleader for any particular product, but I do feel that if a product meets and exceeds my own expectations, then that product deserves some credit.

This is the case with my Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame inflatable kayak. When I, either build, or buy a canoe, or kayak, I expect it to take the abuse that I'm going to hand out, and I do hand out a lot. I built two canoes years ago, and they are still usable today, although they're not as pretty as they used to be.

You see, I don't look at these boats as pieces of fine furniture that need to be coddled and protected from any possible abrasions that might occur during use. Back in my canoe building days, I used to see people with similar canoes getting out of the boat before it even reached shore, so that the hull would not make contact with any hard or rough surface. I've also known people who take their shoes off before they get into their cars or trucks, so as not to dirty the interior. Needless to say, that's not me.

I dragged my canoes through ever type of terrain, if it was easier to do so, and I do the same with my AE kayak. I know that this might make some people shudder but, like I said, I want a boat that can take what I hand out, and not some piece of fine furniture that I have to coddle.

During this last five day trip into the wilderness of Northern Ontario, I threw everything I had at my AdvancedFrame kayak, over some of the toughest portages I've ever been on. It was dragged across rocks, it ran over all types of obstacles in the water and it kept going.

Today, I'm just taking it apart and cleaning it up a bit, after the trip. I turned the hull over to have a look for any possible damage. Sure, there were some marks on the hull, but I just took a wet cloth and some cleanser to it and it looks as good as new again. Not one bit of damage, not even any surface gouges, or scratches to be filled.

Now that my friends, is a quality product that deserves some accolades. If that ever changes, then I'll be the first one in the firing squad but, for now, you can't beat these AE kayaks for quality at a good price.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri May 24, 2013 11:14 am

Far out!
You've put your kayak through a rougher ride than I do, but it's holding up.
My AE kayaks have put up with lots of use for years. While I never drag them, when launching and landing the hull will contact the beach. I've also run over barnacles from time to time on a rock or two that turned out to stick up a little higher than expected. These are tough hulls! And so far, the seams are all holding strong.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Hey PJ;

While I'm not advocating dragging these fine kayaks, I do drag mine because, at many of the locations that I'm getting out, there is just no room, or it's too rough to get it out any other way. Sometimes there is a rocky hill going up from the surface of the water, so I have to drag it up, in order to get it out. Sometimes there are bushes that I have to drag it over. These are just the type of areas I paddle in, and any boat I use needs to be able to take the abuse. So far, my AE kayak has taken it very well.

Also, I should point out that I did make some modifications to my kayak that I feel improve it's ability to withstand an unusual amount of abuse. Those mods can be seen here;

http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.co ... fications/

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Fri May 24, 2013 4:35 pm

NaturalPath wrote:Hey PJ;

While I'm not advocating dragging these fine kayaks, I do drag mine because, at many of the locations that I'm getting out, there is just no room, or it's too rough to get it out any other way. Sometimes there is a rocky hill going up from the surface of the water, so I have to drag it up, in order to get it out. Sometimes there are bushes that I have to drag it over. These are just the type of areas I paddle in, and any boat I use needs to be able to take the abuse. So far, my AE kayak has taken it very well.

Also, I should point out that I did make some modifications to my kayak that I feel improve it's ability to withstand an unusual amount of abuse. Those mods can be seen here;

http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.co ... fications/
I really like the idea of reinforcing the black material under the ribs. Nice job and great write up!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri May 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks rs, there's a patent pending, by the way, :-) just kidding.