Advanced frame,2003 model

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Kenmnz

Advanced frame,2003 model

Post by Kenmnz » Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi
I have just given up on my SOT kayak, as, at 71, I was finding it too heavy to lift on to my roof rack.
I have purchased a second hand Advanced Frame, in very good order for its age, but the slot in bow and stern plates are missing.
I have made temporary ones by sandwiching a layer of thin acrylic plastic between two layers of self adhesive vinyl floor tiles.
This seems OK, but I would like to make something less likely to crack.
can anyone tell me how thick the original plates are?
I am looking forward to trying the kayak as soon as I get a fine day and a high tide at a suitable time, but am also working on some way of lifting the decks before trying it out.

Ken Mitchell

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:06 am

The original plates are thicker than the plastic in a bleach bottle. If you have an old Rubbermaid Roughneck tote that you can cut apart, the sides of the tote might be big enough to cut out the shapes for replacement plates. They'll be about the right thickness too.
I'm not an expert, just a craft-maker, so this is what I'd try. When cutting out the plastic very carefully with a pair or tin snips or tough shears, cut it bigger than you need and trim it down to fit. You could practise with cardboard from a cereal box to get the shape and size right first, then use the cardboard as a pattern for cutting the plastic.
Round the sharp-cut edges with a file or sandpaper. Make a hole to attach a cord tied to the handle, so you don't lose your new plate.

To lift the decks, maybe try slipping a piece of foam pipe insulation in along each side, or a pool noodle cut in half.