Ready for the weekend

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

smokedogg

Ready for the weekend

Post by smokedogg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Yeah, I just took the plunge and bought myself an AF from the UK dealer. It should arrive within 24 hours, which means that I will be able to hit the water this weekend for the first time in one of these bad boys. :P

I will probably start out on some smaller lakes and "light" rivers until I've figured out the basics.

The grand finally is shown below:
http://maps.google.dk/maps?hl=da&q=ring ... 1&ct=image

A fjord about 300 square kilometers.

Will be using the inlets below to enter the fjord.
http://www.sns.dk/udgivelser/2001/87-72 ... bils11.jpg

Any experince with doing the AF thing on greater lakes or perhaps even the ocean? :)

waddle

Post by waddle » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Congratulations on your purchase! I've been getting mine ready to go out after a long winter.

I've taken mine on small lakes, rivers, large lakes and a bit of ocean. The only really noticeable difference I've experienced between the AF and a hardshell is that the AF is more susceptible to wind and larger waves, because of its lighter weight. Just be prepared for that. You may have to practice a little in those conditions to get the hang of it.

Damien

Post by Damien » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Yep, just pulled my out and inflated for the season. I just leave my AF inflated and top off as necessary. My inside floor pad had a slight gouge (looks like the zipper caught it) and was leaking air so I had to put some Tear Aid on it to fix. Seems to be ok now. I pumped it up and it's holding air nicely. Hopefully it'll hold up. The AF looks brand new even though it's a year old. The bottom has less scratches then my hardshell poly sea kayak!

I use my AF for the smaller streams and rivers. It's very maneuverable and bounces off logs and rocks nicely. I've had it out in bays on calm days and it does fine. Tracks well for a little boat.