Storage space in convertible set up for two people

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ro_martin

Storage space in convertible set up for two people

Post by ro_martin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi all

My wife and I are currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of buying two expeditions or a single convertible.
Has anyone used the convertible set up for 2 people for camping trips? How much space is there for towing gear above and below deck?

thanks!

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm

We have not used it for camping but in general the convertible has a few of potential storage spaces. Maybe someone has exact measurements of these space but there is room for small bags...

Lashed to the top and back decks
In between the 2 paddlers (if you don't use the thwart)
Behind the rear seat (a smaller space)
In the front of the legs of the forward paddler (under the front deck)

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:40 pm

From my experience with the wife it is possible to have enough space with the convertable for camping gear. That being said, I would prefer not to do it again. We ended up having a portage bag on the front and back deck. Small dry bag behind rear seat. Foot pump behind rear seat as well. I'm 5'10 and the wife is 5'9. There is no room in front of me or her for gear.

I have used the convertAble solo for a trip and it had plenty of room. My advice would be to buy two yaks. It's just a more comfortable trip. I like the feeling of not being filled to the brim with gear.

evgenk

Post by evgenk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:36 pm

I am also into camping and I did have a good look at the Convertible at a store. The space does seem pretty tight if you need to put two people with gear in it - however it is manageable if you can pack light. I figured I could strap a backpack onto each deck and have room for a tiny cooler behind the back seat and something small in the front under the deck.

This is all based on my observations - I don't actually own an AE Convertible yet, but I think I will be ordering one soon.

It does seem that it's better to have two Expeditions instead of one Convertible however the cost at this point almost doubles ... The other problem I've personally faced is that my girlfriend is absolutely terrified of being alone in a kayak ... so hopefully after this season she will get used to it and we'll be buying an Expedition next year :-)

evgenk

Post by evgenk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Ryno, could you please have a look at my thread. It seems that you've done exactly what I am trying to accomplish and I wonder if you had any issues with weight distribution. http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1099

ro_martin, sorry for stealing your thread! :-)

ro_martin

thanks

Post by ro_martin » Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks to those who replied. We now have a Convertible and look forward to taking it on our first camping trip. Space will be tight but I believe it is do-able.

I will update how it goes.

evgenk

Post by evgenk » Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm

By the way, I do have my AF Convertible now and there really isn't much space behind the rear seat as I originally suspected. You mileage may vary depending on your height.

What I ended up doing is purchasing a small 25 dollar inflatable boat at Wal-Mart which I'll simply tow behind. If you do go same route, either purchase a decent inflatable such as Sevylor Fish Hunter series (this will cost more) but they are a lot more durable, or in case of a cheap boat make sure it has at least two air chambers and tie the gear to the boat so that if you do end up puncturing one of the air chambers you will not lose your gear and it would stay somewhat afloat.