AEC on car roof?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Steve

AEC on car roof?

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:08 pm

I've been wondering if I could set up the kayak at home and take it to the beach on the car roof.

I wouldn't do more than 40mph and have the backbone.

Any idea if I risk damaging the kayak with that wind speed?

Thanks
Steve

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am

There is always a risk of damaging things.
Even when you think it is tied down enough, the wind will make is wiggle under the tie-downs and this can send the kayak blowing away or if it gets loose and lifts up, it could bend the backbone. Or what if the kayak suddenly looses air for some reason?
Tie down at your own risk.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Steve, I find it really convenient to set up my kayaks at the launch site instead of at home before transporting. It's easier to put the big bag into a car than it is to lift a kayak onto the roof and tie it down securely! I also find it more convenient to move the kayak in its bag on a roller to the shore than carry a Convertible alone, but maybe you're bigger and stronger than me.

Grahamrose

Post by Grahamrose » Thu May 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi Steve,

I do this routinely and have had no problems at all. So long as you take the advice here and don't drive too far or too fast. I hang my inflated convertible with backbone from my garage roof on two wide slings made of carpet as I don't have a lot of storage space, I keep it upright. My car sits next to it which makes it really easy for me and my partner and to lift the kayak over and onto the roof rails. I use two heavy duty ratchet straps, each one coincides with the twin cockpits which also sit in line with the roof crossbars, and tighten them sufficiently to compress the tubes and secure the kayak. I drive 7 miles to the nearest loch and don't drive above 40mph. You can see the bow from the driver seat and can see if there's any movement. In 3 years of doing this it's never moved an inch. It's quick and efficient, the convertible is so well built that the backbone, formers and tubes form a rigid structure that doesn't distort.
I'm not advocating or recommending this method for everyone but just wanted to say it works for me, gets me in the water quickly with the minimum of fuss and has had no discernable effect on my amazing AE.

Graham

darolh

Post by darolh » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:31 am

We just started doing this recently carrying our AE convertible with backbone on top of a vehicle to get from camp site to water. I used two tie downs and the bow line to secure it at the front. We didn't drive faster than 25MPH and all was fine.

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 am

Following worked for me on my Ford Escape, I think the flattish roof helps. Instead of just two tie downs in the middle of the car roof rack, I used a piece of tarp, some 3 ft x 3 ft , which have strong grommets at the edge to tie down to the side bars of the roof rack. Helps distribute the forces over a wider area of the kayak. Also two inverted "V" tie downs fore and aft. There is practically no movement of the kayak even at highway speeds.

Cheers

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Forget to add: the for and aft inverted "V" tie downs actually ran through pieces of pvc conduit, rigid, so practically no flexing of the kayak overhang.

MikeCoke

Post by MikeCoke » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 am

I have transported mine from camp site to lake on my VW with no problem.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:26 am

MikeCoke wrote:I have transported mine from camp site to lake on my VW with no problem.

Is this the coolest pic ever?

Thanks all for your replies and I apologise for not doing so earlier. Didn't manage to use the kayak much last year due to various family illnesses & work trips.

Already doing better this year and I've decided to transport it around on the car roof - the less time I need to set up & pack up the more I'll use it.

Happy kayaking all!

MikeCoke

Post by MikeCoke » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:11 am

I now have a different Beetle with a roof rack and also now have the Backbone in my Kayak.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 am

Awesome bug! love the chunky tyres.

Off for my first paddle this year, first one also for my kid