How is the convertible for small adults & kids?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

hani

How is the convertible for small adults & kids?

Post by hani » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi everyone,
We're a family of 4 and have been looking at tandem inflatable kayaks (two for the four of us). We really like the convertible but had a few reservations due to our size.
One kayak would have an adult 5'5" and 115lb and a child under 50lb. The other would have an adult 5'1" and 145lb and a child under 50lb. Obviously we'd need the kayak to grow with the kids as they get bigger, I don't think that'd be a problem with this model, they are 7 and 9 and probably wouldn't be paddling at this point.
The convertible is pretty long and we're wondering if our small statures would make it too big of an option for us?
Thanks in advance!

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Sounds perfect to me.
My wife does`nt always paddle and sits up front but our Convertible is very easy to paddle and control , i did buy the backbone which definitely improves tracking and glide between paddle strokes .
These AE craft are so stables and sit quite low in the water , so don`t catch so much wind as other makes. We just love ours . :D

darolh

Post by darolh » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:20 pm

The convertible is perfect for small statured people. In fact you don't want to be too tall for it.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm 5'1" and I can paddle a Convertible solo or double in either position. Five feet tall = no problem. All of these AE kayaks are good for people our height to paddle.
The only thing I don't prefer about this model is its weight. I find it too heavy to lift solo, on my shoulder. When it's folded up in its bag, I put it on a luggage roller and move it around that way. When it's inflated, I have to lift one end, move that end closer to the water & put it down, go to the other end and lift it... etc. It's okay when I have a friend to help, and then we each take an end & carry it to water. But my friends who are big tall guys just carry it.
Perhaps you might consider a Lagoon2 if like me you prefer a lighter boat. Another alternative is to go with singles. I've put an 8 year old into my Lagoon, but she was a very sporty kid who played safely at the shoreline with it for an hour on a leash before I decided to let her paddle it along the shore beside me in another kayak. You will know your own kids' needs best.
I'd recommend you try these kayaks at a paddlefest or ask a kayak store to let you try them.