Inflation: how much is enough?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Ikkillyk

Inflation: how much is enough?

Post by Ikkillyk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:06 am

Howdy y'all! :D I just recently bought my AF Convertible, and have taken it to the waters for a few short trips already - this summer has been super rainy here in Finland, so not many occassions yet. But I live by the magnificent Lake Saimaa so there's plenty of routes to explore if August shines brighter on us! 8)

Anyhow, cut to the chase - I still haven't figured out how much air I should put into the main chambers with the Advanced Elements 2-way pump. The manual makes it very clear that I should not over-inflate it or I will break it, and I definitely don't want that to happen. On the other hand, I don't know when I'm getting close to 2 psi.

The kayak came with two types of instruction manuals, one specific to the Convertible in English, and one (or two actually) multi-lingual covering all AdvancedFrame models in multiple European languages. What's odd is that the Finnish translation has in its troubleshooting section a problem that other versions don't have. Translation per me:
Problem: How do I ensure that I don't over-inflate the kayak

Solution: Kayak is inflated so that the whole outer skin is filled. It should not be left with any wrinkles. You can also tell this by the pump: when the pump starts resisting, the kayak is filled up. The floor chamber is filled so that the surface feels solid when touched.
Is this correct? So far I have been leaving my kayak in a sort of semi-solid state not being sure how much I should pump into it. When I lift it from one end it will sag from the middle. It floats fine even then, but I'd like to know for sure.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you do not have a pressure gauge. So here is the best way to know when it is inflated properly:

Main Chambers: Start by partially inflating one of the main chambers (it does not really matter which one) just until the kayak begins to take shape and raise off of the ground. Then switch to the other main chamber and fill until the kayak starts to become rather firm and there are no wrinkles.

At this point, pick the kayak up from one end by the carry handle and give the kayak a good thrust downward. If the kayak flexes at all or is bending, then add a little more air until it does not flex.

As for the floor: Fill until it becomes firm but not hard. It should still be soft enough for you to press your finger into the floor and touch the other side.

Ikkillyk

Post by Ikkillyk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks for the response. :) Yep, I don't have a gauge. I had read that from somewhere, but I wasn't quite sure. Now I am.

I really like the concept of inflatable kayaks. Come the weekend, I will be heading 200km north and the package takes practically no space at all! :)