New AE Convertible Accessory Idea

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

darolh

New AE Convertible Accessory Idea

Post by darolh » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 pm

We have found that the AE Convertible loses a significant amount of rigidity in the mid section when paddling without the deck. As a science project we wrapped a strap (from the kayak cart) around the mid section of the boat where the thwart is. What a difference. After that experiment we acquired (with a bit of difficulty) the buckles that are used to attach the seats to the gunwales and made a strap that goes across the boat right at the mid seat mounting location. Awesome accessory. Making it was easier than getting buckles!!!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Cool idea!

3-Bearss

Post by 3-Bearss » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 pm

What length did you make the Thwart strap?

darolh

Post by darolh » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Simple. Just long enough to reach across the boat from buckle to buckle.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi,

I don't have the deck but I'll try this out (with the all round strap at first). Sounds like a simple yet great idea!

Do you have a photo of your strap in place?

Thanks
Steve

qajaqer

Post by qajaqer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm

I dont use a deck cover on my tandem, so was curious about this method.

I used an airline luggage strap looped around the two tubes about mid-position.

I found the kayak appeared to be "stiffer" : the roll capability increased slightly, tested on

flat water in a river.

I like this mod: the strap also functions as a foot rest.

Trying to figure out how to add an image to this forum post.

Cheers[/code]

qajaqer

Post by qajaqer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 pm

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 am

From what I see in the picture, what happens when you do that, is it makes the outer shell more baggy because you are pulling the tubes inward. The tubes are meant to fill out the outer cover. The deck has nothing to do with making the kayak more rigid. It is just to cover the area.
If you are experiencing flexing in the middle, it is because there is not enough pressure. One of two thing happens.
1. you didn't pump enough into the main tubes
2. the pressure decreased after paddling on the water for a bit. Water temperature always is less than the outer air so any inflatable always loses some air.

Fix this by letting the kayak sit in the water for about 10-15 min before paddling and then top it off. Or, after paddling for a bit, pull over to shore and top it off. Or, put a little more air in to start off and it will adjust down to proper pressure.

qajaqer

Post by qajaqer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the response.

Actually the picture was taken in my garage, in practice on water, the strap was more on the mid-ship thwart , but I agree with you, if the pressure is low, the tubes will compress a bit.

I generally carry my double action pump in the kayak, and have on occasion topped up whilst on the water: an interesting exercise with the pump base butted against the thwart. This is rare and was done when I hit a frigid water patch on one of the lakes north of Vancouver BC.

But I think a top deck is essential as it adds to the overall rigidity: my next purchase as soon as I whisk away some of the grocery money!!

Cheers

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm

The conversion decks simply add a covered, cockpitted position to the kayak for protection from the elements. They do not add any rigidity whatsoever to the kayak.

darolh

Post by darolh » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:34 pm

The “rigidityâ€￾ I speak of is resistance to the gunwales being spread apart. The only thing putting tension on them is the deck (if installed) or the Velcro of the thwart. I got the idea when we were running sans deck and my wife went to adjust her seating position and pushed the gunwales apart from the thwart. I figured tying the gunwales together might be an idea and tried it out. It works great.