Another Newbie!

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:21 pm

I looked up the coverage area for the SPOT, and they have very extensive coverage around the world. There is only one small (when considering the globe) part of the world that doesn't have coverage. I've marked their website, and will probably get one at a later date. I think it is a very wise purchase for many different reasons. It's even something a woman could keep in her purse in case she is stranded along the road or abducted by someone, would be wise for seniors going on a senior trip to another country, etc. I can see many uses for it. The price is minimal if it saves a life only once. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

I'm still on the hunt for anything that will help us. If I don't get the inflatable foot braces, is there something else that you find handy to brace your feet against? We have a lot of coastline, and we might find ourselves on the water three times a week (at first at least). We have absolutely no recreational activities where we live, so this is pretty exciting for all of us.

Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:...If you check out the Advanced Elements photo group on Flickr, there is a group that has done quite a bit of coastal paddling in warm waters. You may want to join the group and shoot them a message to see if there is anything they may suggest that you bring along with you.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/585246@N21/
Their screen names in Flickr are ashleyps and scar ve.
ashleyps is also a member here on the forum and I think that scar ve is too but is listed under scartervt.

Jeremy
8)
Thank you, Jeremy, for this suggestion. I joined the group today, and sent them a flickrmail. :wink: We'll see what they have to say.
Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 am

I ordered a backbone for the second kayak from rei.com. They had a coupon for $20.00 off of a $100.00 order. Guess how much a backbone for the Convertible costs. :D I picked it up for $80.00.

I'm still trying to figure out which gps to get. I sure could use some suggestions there. I did purchase a navigational chart for our island that I will use until I decide on which gps to get. I like the one mentioned on page one of this thread. I am just waiting to hear from some other people. I started a thread on gps units in the Misc section. Here is the link: http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=389 I hope to hear from some of you.

Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm

I looked the forum over, and can't find a place that would be appropriate to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, so I'll do it here on a thread I started. Merry Christmas everyone! :D
Daddy-O
.................and a Happy New Year!

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:43 pm

I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy New Year! My wife and I went down to beach to watch the sun come up today (Jan 1) after being up all night last night. The air temperature was about 79 degrees and the water was just beautiful. I'm looking forward to getting our Convertibles in a few weeks so that we can get out on it. I hope everyone has a very happy and safe New Year!
Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Well, it's getting bad! I had a dream that I took my AE Convertible out on it's maiden paddle last night. It performed beautifully also! :wink: Our two Convertibles are sitting in a hangar in Florida just waiting to come to us. My wife asked me today when we were going to take them out. I told her, the morning after we get them, of course. :) I hope the weather is good that day (it usually is).
Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm starting to feel like I'm having a one way conversation with myself on this thread. Anyway, after looking at several videos on youtube.com, and looking at my Ken Whiting dvd, "Sea Kayaking, The Ultimate Guide", I decided that we needed some spray skirts. Yesterday, I purchased four spray skirts and one double deck conversion for the Convertible (the West Marine kayak has the conversion already). This should keep us fairly dry, even in some rougher water.

I did not realize that there were so many various things involved to make a good start at sea kayaking. It is a good thing that I started purchasing some things about a year ago. We have finally come to the end of our journey, and can get on the water as soon as the kayaks arrive.

I called the people that fly in our cargo from the states to see when they are coming. They haven't scheduled a flight as of yet. I am hoping it will be sometime this month, but there are no guarantees. I think we are all set with our gear. The only other thing that I think we might need now is a large duffle bag just for the gear we have to go with the kayaks.

Daddy-O

slurch

Post by slurch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:21 am

It sounds like you are now only short of the kayaks. I know what it is like waiting to get out on the water. I booked my summer holiday this week. A loch side cottage on the Isle of Barra in the Scottish Western Isles, in June.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

slurch,

I was looking up the information on your trip to the Isle of Barra. It looks like a great trip! I hope you will be able to see all of the sites while there. Here is the opening paragraph on a website I looked at:

"A trip to the Island of Barra has all the trappings of adventure. Lying to the southern end of the chain of islands known as the Outer Hebrides or the Western Isles, it is one of the remotest areas in Europe. It is sparsely populated, with a population of just 1300. The first language of its inhabitants, Gaelic, is an ancient tongue which is a mystery even to most Scots. Its rugged hills, grassy spaces, golden beaches, sheer cliffs and sparkling waters are a haven for wildlife; sea eagles, golden eagles, puffins, guillemots, kittiwakes, seals, otters and thousands of species of wild flowers can all be found here."

The pictures are also very captivating. I hope you have a great time.

Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I bought one Convertible at the end of November, then another about December 1st. We haven't received them yet (still waiting on our cargo plane from the states), but today I purchased two AF 10.5's. Now the whole family can get out together. I think we will be a sight out on the water (unique for our area). I don't think the people around here have ever seen a kayak (maybe on tv?). There are absolutely no activities in our city unless you just like to hang out in front of really loud music and drink at night (or during the day).

Well, we don't see the excitement in that, so we got these kayaks. We are really looking forward to getting them. I'll try to get some pictures of our first outing (all four kayaks) and post them. My wife and one of my daughters said that it will be like Christmas when our cargo plane comes in next time. They are right! :D

Daddy-O

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:11 am

Sounds like you have great equipment for your great plans! So smart to have recreational and sports gear for your family, when entertainment/health activities are something you make for yourself.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:26 pm

I finally got the word. The kayaks are due to arrive on February 17 (my daughter's birthday)! Only two weeks more until they arrive from the states. They are due to arrive on a Tuesday, so we are planning our first trip for either Thursday or Friday morning. We'll just take an easy paddle down the coastline from our bay.

We are going have some tandem practice between now and then so we don't look like complete morons when we first get started. :oops: I have seen videos of the front and rear paddler on tandem kayaks that just couldn't get it together. We'll try to work a little bit of that out before we actually get out on the water the first time.

Daddy-O

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm

hurray!
It's great you are making your own family fun.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I received an email two days ago from our shipping company telling us that they have to cancel our flight. :cry: We will have to wait until the second week of March now. It's a bummer, but we can't do anything about it. We are planning a vacation at the end of March, so we might be doing some camping out of our new kayaks during that time. :D
Daddy-O

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm

I have been following your progress of getting the kayaks and wow I don't know if I could wait and be as patient as you.

Hopefully you will get the kayaks this time around! I am very excited to hear about their first voyage and your experience.