Maiden Voyage

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

trev007

Maiden Voyage

Post by trev007 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:53 am

Hi All,

Ok 25th December, we opened the box with the new AE Convertable..been itching for a couple of weeks to try it out.

First impressions, pulled the AEC out of the carry bag in a nice folded package onto the lounge room floor. Unfolded it and finally got a look at the thing I had done so much research about prior to purchase. opened it up and took a look at the valves that had been a mystery to me, all the stress about not having a pump in time and turns out the $23.00 AUD Kookaburra 6000CC pump fitted perfectly!. So, the big moment, inflating it and seeing how it all came together.

The main valve connected up nicely and took about 2 minutes to get it inflated half way, nice I thought, moved onto the second large valve and inflated all the way in about a couple of minutes...so far so good.. back to the first main valve and inflated all the way. When I removed the pump fitting I had to poke my finger into the valve and twist to close it off... still have to work out how the valves are set for inflating ect, never the less, both main chambers pumped ut. Then the floor was a sinch followed by the two front valves that took about a lung full of air to inflate.

I would point out here, the double action hand pump is definately the way to go, I found the foot pump noisy and moved around a lot..a good spare perhaps.

Step back and admire the AEC fully inflated...very nice. Ok well the river is about 250 metres from my front door...9.30am, christmas day...why not.... one end each and we carry it down to the water, not the lightest thing to cart such a distance, but we arrived and placed it into the drink... PFD`s on, paddles set up and we have our maiden voyage.

So I`m impressed first off that I can clammer in the back with someone in the front and never looked like tipping out, very stable I thought, as we paddle off into the Swan River, as neither of us had done tandem before, it was a little steady steady to see how we go... 15 minutes into it and we are fairly cruising along. Now I did notice a slight right drift, but this may very well have been my right dominant side with the deeper paddling, not to sure, but either way it wasnt a huge problem.

30 minutes in and I am thinking to myself.. "Bloody hell Pearly is fit".. having read a lot of his fishing post in the Expedition section where he heads out for hours and miles at a time.. I have a ways to go on the fitness I think.

I did notice I clipped my hands a couple of times on the side of the AEC, the seat clip and zipper that may have caused me some grief, however this was easily fixed with a little effort in hand placement while paddling.

Now much to my suprise, I never had any of the water problems comming into the yak that a lot of people on here posted about, when I got out, I was very dry, no issues there at all and thats without a spray deck...beginners luck..who knows, we`ll see.

About an hour after setting out, arrived back near my street, got the AEC out and lugged it back home. All in all, fairly impressed, looking forward to heading out more often and getting fitter - and a trolly!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Pleased you enjoyed your maiden voyage - even if you were a little tired afterwards. 8)

As for the paddling, I have a head start, so you will get fitter! You will be using muscles which normally sit there reelaxing, so the first few trips are a wake-up call for the muscles.

I've posted a few tips here.. http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... =2884#2884

Cheers,

Ian

trev007

Post by trev007 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks Pearly, I love reading your adventures, even though I`ve not toyed with a fishing rod..yet

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:30 am

In regards to the pump fitting on the main valves, and if I am reading it correctly, the proper pump fitting will allow you to leave the valve in the out position and it will not need to be turned until you need to deflate it. The proper pump fitting pushes the spring valve in enough for inflation. Then as you remove the pump fitting it allows the valve to come out to the closed position. The pump you have may not do this. But it got you started and that is what counts. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 am

The valve should be out in the inflate position for inflating and pushed in with a twist for the deflate. If you have a guage, you can make a small mod for inflation, as shown here..

http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=581