Advice on fitting kayak into bag

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

moorehuntley

Advice on fitting kayak into bag

Post by moorehuntley » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:08 am

I have a 2-person Advanced Frame convertible kayak and I'm having a heck of a time trying to fit the thing back into the supplied carry case. Anyone have any hints on how to do this?

Thanks! David

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Putting 2 person Advanced Frame into bag!

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:21 pm

David,

Sometimes it can be a little difficult but to be certain that it will fit back into the bag, you need to make sure that all of the air is out of it. If you simply open the valves and fold it up and try to put it in the bag, it won't fit.
Most pumps can be reversed so that they deflate. If your pump can do this then you will want to suck the air out of the kayak. Once this is done, fold the kayak in half lengthwise. Then, fold in the stern of the kayak. The fold should be between the fin and the are of the stern that has the hard plastic panels inside. Do this for the bow as well. Fold the bow over one more time. Where the first fold of the bow is located should be almost touching the tip of the stern. Fold the Stern on top of the bow folds or vis a versa. The kayak should now be folded into a nice rectangle.
You can push down on it to relieve and air that may of gotten trapped in the folds. If your kayak is really puffy and bouncy (like it still has air in the tubes) then you should unfold it a try to get the remaining air out. I find that it is easiest to put the end of the kayak into the bag first that is open. Then fit the end in that has the big fold.
As I said, it can be a little challenging but as long as all the air is out of the kayak, it will fit fine with room to spare for the seats, possibly paddles and pump as well. If you need further assistance, let us know.

Jeremy :)

feldmarshal1

suck it out

Post by feldmarshal1 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:34 pm

I've got a couple of different inflatables and the way to go is to reverse that pump and suck all the air out of every chamber. Nothing else has worked for me, good luck.

stuart888

Post by stuart888 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 am

After you get all the air out, roll it up towards the open air holes. That way you won't get air caught inside the kayak.

Regards, Stuart

raw10128

Post by raw10128 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:13 am

I have the advanced elements convertible and all the accessories. I love the boat but the size of the bag stinks. Why can't advanced elements make the bag bigger. I know you are suppossed to suck all the air out and fold it a certain way and I have done that and it does fit but what a pain that is. I am currently looking for a bigger bag. Any ideas where i can get one.

cjdeas

Post by cjdeas » Thu May 31, 2007 9:55 am

Although, I haven't had any problems fitting my convertible back into the bag, what might work well is a hockey bag. You can even get them now with wheels on them.

One thing I have found that makes it easier to get the boat into the bag is to place the bag over the kayak once its folded up and then flip it over. Rather than trying to stuff the kayak into the bag.

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:27 pm

cjdeas wrote:One thing I have found that makes it easier to get the boat into the bag is to place the bag over the kayak once its folded up and then flip it over. Rather than trying to stuff the kayak into the bag.
I do the same thing and it works pretty good for me. The first couple times I packed it up was a bit of a challenge but once I had a system down pat I can have them packed up in a few minutes. :D

PJohanson

easier to fit in bag

Post by PJohanson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:25 pm

To make it easier to fit any of these kayaks in the bag, I'd suggest making the bag zipper open three-quarters of the way around the square.
Then I could open the bag nearly flat, lay the folded kayak on one half of the bag, close the bag over the kayak and zip it shut.
Often I have to get my partner to hold the bag open and snake it over the folded kayak.

EdG

Post by EdG » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:18 pm

My first inflatable arrived about a week ago (AE Expedition) and I ran thru the folding exercise a few times at home before I went to the water. The first time had me thinking did I really need to dump my hard shell to gain extra storage? It was painful and would not fit in the bag the first time.

The second and subsequent tries (after re-reading the fine manual) went smoother.

I agree with the above 3/4 zipper statement in that it would make it much easier to load back into the bag. I'll give the upside down bag over the top a try next time out.

Thanks to JCOOLEY for confirming the fold points. The manual wasn't as explicit.

PJohanson

better bags

Post by PJohanson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm

The hockey bag comment got me thinking. There are hockey bags with wheels on one end. A revised version of our kayaks' bags could have both a 3/4 of the way around zipper AND wheels on one end (maybe a small handle on other).
It wouldn't have to be sold with every kayak. But it would be nice to be able to get one.
I know that for a lot of big husky guys these inflatables are soooo light. But hey, the people who are most charmed by my Dragonfly are little women who normally can't imagine carrying a kayak solo. Senior citizens also love the idea of a boat light enough to carry. But the current loaded bag is bulky and "lug-able" rather than conveniently carry-able for little or old people. It would be sweet to be able to pull it across a floor.
In the meantime, I'll get a little folding luggage cart.

EdG

Post by EdG » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:18 pm

I can relate to the Senior and small constraints for the luggable. But what's being described above sure sounds like the roller/duffle combination offered by AE.

Has anyone had experience with it's ease or lack of use and how does it roll across sand/gravel/grass? Thanks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am

What was mentioned is offered by us in the form of the Roller Duffel Bag. It is a bag with whells on one end and a collapsable handle on the other. It also has a nice mesh side pocket to store paddles etc. The size will fit the Convertible (very tightly). Anything larger will not fit. Best for models AE1000, AE1020, AE1001, AE1003, AE1012, AE1002 and AE1009.

joren

Post by joren » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:55 pm

hey, I just wanted to let people know that I found a big duffle that fit my kayak and ALL of it's gear. I'm traveling (flying) with my kayak and having just one bag with everything kayak is important to me. It is over 50 lbs so I might get charged extra by the airlines, though. I fit my AE Expedition, backbone, paddle, backup paddle, bellows foot pump, hand pump, spray skirt, dry top, pfd, throw rope, empty dry bags, and a towel with a little room to spare.

Anyway, here's the link. With shipping, cost was about $50 from campmor.com. I'm not affiliated with either of these companies. Just thought others might benefit.

Cheers,
Joren

PALINDROME

Post by PALINDROME » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:37 pm

I can not agree strongly enough with the frustrations expressed about the size of the bag. I have never understood why outdoor gear ALWAYS comes with a bag that is, to put it nicely, a challenge to fit the gear back into. Nice boat, but what the heck is the thinking process at the factory when thy decide on a bag?
p.s. would my convertible fit EASALY into the roller bag mentioned? (I could use the bag that came with it for the new tent I bought that does not fit into it’s bag *sigh*)

PJohanson

fitting into bags

Post by PJohanson » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Fitting any gear back into its bag is always a hassle.
For years, my favourite suitcase was one with two zippers. Pack the bag to go on the trip. Half-way through the trip, unzip the second zipper to turn the bag from a 4 inch deep bag to a 5 1/2 in deep one. No extra stuff added. Stuff just needed more space.
Investing in a compressible sleeping bag, and a small knapsack with compression webbing on the sides made a big impression on me.
I want gear bags to OPEN, darn it, open absolutely flat like both halves of a clamshell!
Any gear bag that takes two hands to hold open while two hands are putting in gear is a Two-Person Rig.
Ideally, I want gear bags to have two ways of being closed: closed up tight and tiny with the gear tucked in neatly, or closed up bigger with either the gear kinda sloppy or the neatly tucked gear and the 10% of stuff I absolutely must use each time the gear is used.
And I want chocolate, but I can get that.