Anyone taken their AE on Lake Superior/other great lakes?

AE1007-R(2005-Present), AE1004-R(2002-2004)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ADKnative

Anyone taken their AE on Lake Superior/other great lakes?

Post by ADKnative » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello, good people,
I've decided to go to Isle Royale in Lake Superior next summer and to paddle it w/ my Convertible in the solo config. I've got the backbone, deck and spray skirt, and only a small portion of my itinerary -- 1/2 day, about 2 miles -- will be on open water in Lake Superior, along the shore of the national park.

Has anybody out there done any of the great lakes in their inflatible?

I'll be paddling the Lake Huron shore this weekend as a primer, but it cannot begin to compare to the moods of "the lady" that is Lake Superior. Don't worry, I'm a seasoned 'yaker.

Many thanks,
Lonnie

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Sounds like you're planning a good trip! Be sure to post a note about it on the stories part of the forum, eh?

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm

I done pieces of Lake Michigan in the Wisconsin Door County area. I have the AF Convertible. It worked very well. A little bit of "bending" on some swells but over all I really enjoyed. Im going do purchase the drop stitch floor for some more rigidness but I am guessing with the backbone you will be good to go.

By the way... I hiked Isle Royale back when I was 16. I loved that trip. It is truly a wonderful place. I will be interested to hear how the trip is on the water vs land.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 pm

This Labor Day my wife and I paddled Lake Michigan in Door County just north of Whitefish Dunes State Park in 1-3 and a few 4 ft waves. We paddled against a 12-15 MPH wind for at least 2 miles, 2 times and sailed back with our WindPaddle sail. If you have not gone yet think about buying the DS floor and use it with the BB. You will love it! We loved the way the Convertible goes right through the waves. During our 2 mile upwind paddle we had to angle at about a 45 degrees to the wind. The waves hitting our side had no effect on the way the kayak paddled. Before the BB/DS combo waves did push the bow around a bit. I urge you to try it! The only thing we need now are skirts. Any suggestions or are the AE skirts the best fit. How difficult are they to hook behind your back on the inflatable combs?