Pearly's Fishing adventures 2011 (Updated 04 October 2011)

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:57 am

Haven't managed to take any photo's of the rod tubes, but I do have some more fish!

Been out the past few weekends and managed to catch a variety of fish of all shapes and sizes! Had a trip out today and lost a BIG fish! It was quite a gentle take and then it took off! Line was peeling form the reel and I couldn't stop the fish. As the fish got further and further away, I applied a bit more pressure, but something didn't feel right. I could feel the fish fighting, but the line didn't feel smooth. As I looked down at my anchor rope, looked back at the amount of line left on my reel, looked back at the anchor thinking I should release the anchor - SNAP! The line broke. The fish must have taken the line through some underwater structure and it snapped under tension. Heaven only knows what fish it was!

Here's some for variety - the majority were released, but some of the more tasty ones were kept for my tummy!

Baby Orange Spotted Grouper - released of course..

Diamond Trevally (Chermin) - kept this one..

Fingermark Snapper - Kept this one too..

Nice Barramundi for Merv..

Tiger Grouper - Kept this one too!

Chao Xi - Released

Total catch

Last edited by Pearly on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:04 am

Next trip - More variety!

My first Golden Trevally

Fingermark Snapper - Released

Chermin - Released

Bigger Chermin - Also released

Greedy Grouper on lure - released

Giant Herring - Released

Malabar Grouper - Released

This one was so greedy, he even had a crab in his mouth at the same time as my prawn!

Quite a few more Fingermark Snapper too - it is the season for them now!

Managed to find another Taiwan Ngor (Red Drum)

Last edited by Pearly on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 am

This weekend - 23/24 April

Had a trip to Sentosa yesterday, on my own. The current was dang strong making it hard work! The weather was beautiful and it was still a great day to be out on the water.

First up was a Todak (Gar Fish)

Sharp teeth on those!

Haven't a clue what this is, but it is pretty - Quick foto and released again..

Today was back at our old hunting ground in the North

I was plagued by small Snappers snapping up my live prawn, so put on a rubber prawn - that worked too!

We ended up with about 10 snapper - most of which were released and a couple of lost biggies! It is always the one's that got away that keep you wanting MORE!!!!

Cheers,

Ian

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 am

Did u meet Kenny and his camping buddies there?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Nope - but I did see Peter heading back around lunchtime on Saturday - he was flying off to China, so had to get back early! I heard from Kenny that they were enjoying themselves! Looking forward to seeing their report.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Am curious about the lure that you used for the TODAK,
wat exactly did you use?

And it was a small sinker and not a float?
Current must very fast flowing?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:55 pm

It was actually on a live Tamban - about 1m under a small float. I was aiming for Queenfish, but these pesky critters kept hitting the bait!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I catch red snappers ocasionally in Florida. Are the snappers in your area really fast. The reds are on and gone. You have to be on you toes to catch them. Are yours the same? I haven't tried rubber prawns yet. Maybe next time since live bait shops are getting rare down there.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 pm

The small snappers are a pain in the a$$! They come in and chop your prawn in half with barely a twitch of the rod tip. So you do have to hold the rod and watch the tip closely. It does seem to be more of a challenge to catch fish on artificial bait and does seem more rewarding to fool the fish!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

This is Merv's compilation of some of our best moments in kayak fishing for the year to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbBBS_Badic

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue May 17, 2011 6:43 am

A nice early start and an early arrival at the meeting place, but a lot more kayakers than I was expecting! I was thinking maybe Ipohmali might beat me to the car-park (which he did, but so did the other 7 fisho's! Merv was a little late, so we were all ready to go before he got there! Hehehe!

With a nice mix of kayaks and kayak fisho's, we set off down to the beach.

I should have waited until everyone was in position, I guess, but I did count Yat, Yee, Sum before I took the foto. I'll say it in Mandarin next time!

The Australian Navy came past to wish us luck..

I think Merv caught the well wishes - as the ship was just passed, I heard a splash, looked across and there he was.... fighting a nice Queenie!

By this time, the rest of the gang had already crossed to the left of us. We were supposed to be going right, trying to find the SMTC Kelong, but I guess I forgot to tell the others that.

Fishing around on the other side, as we cast around, Merv was in AGAIN!! "It's a Kim!" he shouted. Great! The cheeky Chinaman does it again! NOT FAIR!!!

A little while later, my consolation prize of a small Orange Spotted Grouper came up for a quick foto before release.

By mid morning, the rest of the gang had come to join us and I had a quick look at Ipohmali's nice Kim - about 2KG of solid silver! What a great prize for his first time out!

We ventured off to the kelongs and fished around for a while. This place was full of snags over the sunken kelongs, but our friend was back in again! Big fish on!!

He kept us guessing for a while! This was a good fighting fish, bending his rod double and taking line.

As it came up, to everyone's surprize it was a 2KG Sweetlips!

My time was up, so the two champions joined me for the journey back, leaving the rest of the gang to carry on fishing.

A quick trophy shot for the Champ of the Morning..

Dunno the final score yet tho!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun May 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Finally found my Mojo!

I'm not really sure what it was, but my fishing had not been too good recently. On one recent trip, I was annihilated by Merv! He was catching fish all around me and I couldn't even get a bite! My own theory is that it was the sunblock I had been using. This particular day was really hot, even early morning and I had been wiping the sweat from my face. I think this must have transferred to the bait! In an hour and a half, Merv already had 8 fish - the biggest being over 6kg and all within 50 yard of me!! How humiliating!

This weekend was mine tho! 5 of us went out on Saturday and the fishing was slow.... real slow - just a few small snappers which were released back into the murky depths.

I moved on to get some bait-fish and the fish only started to bite once the current started to move in the opposite direction as the tide changed. I quickly filled up my bait tube and moved on again to look for biggies. No biggies tho! As we started to paddle back, I saw a Giant Herring break the surface. "Herring" I shouted and cast out a small lure. "FISH ON!!" A big Herring jumped out - still on! This beastie jumped a lot, but as it came close to the yak, it jumped straight at me! I put my arm up in defense and the fish smacked it, impaling the hooks into my sleeve. In a flash of silver, the fish was gone, leaving one of its gills behing as a present! Poor fish - I'm sorry!

I cast again, but no more takes. The rest of the guys had moved in, but they too could not get a fish on. We paddled again and I saw another Herring fin. "They're here!" I shouted and cast out again. "WHOOOOHOOOO!! FISH ON!!!" Another Herring came bouncing out, but this one threw the hooks after about 10 jumps! No fish for the other guys again.

We paddled on again and about 50 yards later, I was in the middle of the Herrings. "FISH ON!!!" This one was to give quite a tug of was and towed the yak around in circles. As it came up, I realized it was actually foul-hooked in the side! As it tired enough to stop jumping around, I grabbed the tail and hoisted my prize up for a quick photo before releasing it.

No fish for the other guys tho. Hehehe!

Sunday came and we were off to the East.

As Merv and I trolled lures on the way to the fishing ground, I had a take! A nice little Mangrove Jack put up a good fight and came in for a photo.

We trolled and cast lures all over the place, but couldn't get another hook-up, so I moved out into deeper water. The only fish to take my bait there was this little Toad Fish...

Lunchtime was approaching, so we moved back closer to the launch site and I cast out my lure again. First cast - BANG! "FISH ON!!!". Another good fighter on the end! It felt like a much bigger fish, but Mangrove Jacks are a powerful fish and they play dirty, heading into the rocks to find a place to cut you off. I tightened the drag and pulled him up onto the yak.

Sorry Merv! Hehehe!!
Last edited by Pearly on Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon May 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice pair of MJs you've got there.
Especially exhilarating when it is on the lure.
Great skills, Ian. Thanks for sharing.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 am

Seeing red!

Sunday - 29 May 2011

The tides were not very favourable this weekend. Not much of a difference between high and low tide means that there will not be much current.

The first spot gave us a few small fingermark snappers which were released to grow bigger. The second spot gave us no bites at all, so we moved on again. Merv went back to the first spot, insisting that there are fish there really!

I moved on to a drop off from 14 feet down to 24+ feet. We've had a few from here before, but no bites this morning. As I was sitting there, wondering where Merv was, I had a text message.. "Ang Kway (Red Snapper) are here! 2 so far and counting!"

Merv's instinct was right again!

I started to wind the line back in, ready to follow Merv, when I felt a little tug. I paused on the retrieve and felt a stronger tug, struck into it and felt a nice little fighter on the end. As it came up, I could see red - my own red snapper!

Cast out again and sent Merv a text saying I had my own! Another tug and another red came up to say "Hello!"

Another text to Merv - "2 all!"

My next cast put me in the lead...

I looked up and saw Merv heading my way.... just as my fourth took the bait...

Merv was impressed and dropped his line down into the same hole. He was quickly rewarded with a bent rod and another one came up. I had enough of the snapper for now, so cast around looking for Giant Herring, but only found a small one which was quickly released.

Moving further into the rocky areas along the coast, I had a strong pull and quite a fight on my hands. Puzzled as to what the creature was, I was hoping for a nice Barramundi, but this wasn't fighting like a Barra. As a silver disk appeared, I could see why it was a strange fight - my biggest Chao Xi (Sickle Fish) came spiraling up to the surface. This thing is huge for this species!

A quick foto and sent her back off into the depths..

I looked across and could see a large shoal of fish on the surface. We've seen many large shoals before, but never caught any of the fish. I usually cast into or over the shoal allowing the lure to sink down and hope to tempt a big predator to take my presentation. I did the same this time and hooked one of the mystery fish! Now I know what they are - Five Spot Herring!

I know this one only has three spots, but I guess it is saving up for the other two!

Quickly released this one, cast out and caught another! I think they just got in the way of the lure, rather than actively attacking it tho.

Merv and I ended up with about the same amount of fish today, tho I think Merv's flu had thrown him off his game slightly!
Last edited by Pearly on Sun May 29, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonar

Post by sonar » Sun May 29, 2011 4:44 am

This is and has been a great blog and the pictures are well taken and very clear.

Keep it up..