blown floor

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Matt02

blown floor

Post by Matt02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 am

Hi All

I have had my expedition for around a month now, on my last outing about an hour into the trip an "I beam" blew leaving me with one large chamber.

I have sorted a replacement, but I worry that I have done something wrong and obviously don't want a repeat.

I purchased the kayak with the pump and gauge, I inflate very carefully to 1psi and have never left it in the sun. The only slight concern I have is that unlike the main chambers the twist lock valves give a reading whilst pumping which may go up to 3-4psi. I continue to pump until the gauge has a steady 1psi reading when not pumping.

I assume i'm not doing this wrong?

People have mentioned that you should be able to push through and feel the ground with moderate pressure, I must say when inflated to 1psi I cannot do this.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:06 am

You definitely over inflated it. The gauge will give you an accurate reading while you are pumping it. You can try slowly pushing down on the pump to get even a better reading. If the needle was going up to 3-4 psi then that is what you inflated it to. The floor should not be rigid. It should still be slightly soft but firm. There is always the possibility that something may be wrong with the gauge as well.

Matt02

Post by Matt02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply, but I may need to clarify.

When I am not pumping and the pump hose is just connected to the valve, that is when I am reading a solid 1psi. The pressure goes to 3-4psi immediately when pumping and straight down again to 0 when not, I continue to pump until it settles a 1psi.

Surely this is right? If not I really don't see how I can accurately inflate to the correct pressure.

I would have thought when not pumping the gauge be giving a true reading

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:26 pm

People have mentioned that you should be able to push through and feel the ground with moderate pressure, I must say when inflated to 1psi I cannot do this.
If the pump hose is attached to the twist valve and you are getting a reading of 1 psi while idle yet you floor is very rigid or rock hard, then there may be something wrong with the gauge.
You can test it on the main chambers to see if this is the case.
If it is an AE pump, it should of come with the Spring Valve Adaptor that screws onto the valve. Pump the kayak from valve #1 until it rises off of the ground and begins to take shape. Move to valve #2 and inflate the remainder of the kayak until rigid. You should be able to lift the kayak from either end and not get any bending in the middle. At this point the kayak should be properly inflated and you should get a reading of 2-3 psi when the Spring Valve adaptor is attached. If this is the case, then the gauge is good.
If you are not using an AE pump, then you would need to contact the company that makes that pump to find a solution why it does not work properly. Maybe they could cover the cost of the floor then too.
Anyway, just some thoughts. I am assuming you have already contacted customer service at AE.
info@advancedelements.com

Matt02

Post by Matt02 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, sounds like I'm doing it correctly at least

It is an AE pump yes, the main chambers inflate and give a reading fine as well.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Don't worry about the psi reading for the floor. When you are inflating, watch the floor go from flat to the point where each chamber becomes more rounded. Then test with your finger. You should be able to press firmly on the top surface and still push you finger down to the bottom surface. If you can do it easily, with very little finger pressure, pump a few more pumps and test again. Once you have done this a few times, you will know how many pumps and what the floor looks like as you get to the correct pressure.

That's what I've been doing for the past 5 years on mine!

One other thing..... pump the floor LAST!

Matt02

Post by Matt02 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks,

This is what i did on my last outing, I do think maybe there was a slight fault on my last floor as I noticed when pumping this time I wasn't getting the same erratic readings (ie swings to 3-4 psi whilst pumping), but rather steadily increasing. I still didn't inflate to 1psi and used the touch method, it is softer than before but couldn't feel any difference in performance.

For reference, has anyone counted approx how many strokes to inflate fully?

thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 am

One last thought. It could of also been that the valve wasn't all the way open, allowing an accurate reading. If the valve is not all the way open, what can happen is it is causing resistance every time you pump, causing the needle on the gauge to jump to a higher reading.