Expedition foot brace and long legs

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Paddy Ling

Expedition foot brace and long legs

Post by Paddy Ling » Sat May 17, 2014 5:30 am

Have any of our longer legged Expedition owners had problems with the stock foot brace being too close to the cockpit to be used comfortably? While I'm 6'3" I know there are much taller people who fit comfortably in the Expedition, however even with the seat fixed back as far as possible, and the foot brace extended as far forward as possible, I can barely keep my knees from pushing out through the cockpit - I can only avoid this by sitting frog-legged which is quite uncomfortable. The alternative is of course removing the brace altogether and stuffing something in the bow instead. I guess the AE4003 pegged foot brace might offer better leg room, does anyone have experience of using this with the Expedition?

Another issue I have with the Expedition is during inflation, when inflating chamber 1 I have noticed that the part of the stern just under the handle seems to gain pressure much more quickly than the rest of the kayak, so much so that there is a visible curve in this part of the stern during inflation. I have avoided inflating the first chamber even half way over concerns about this, and had to compensate by pumping more air into the second chamber. I haven't noticed any visible kinks in the chamber. Is it normal for this part of the stern to become very firm to the touch during inflation while the rest of the craft is not?

I should note that I haven't yet christened the kayak on the water yet, just practicing the setup/teardown routine in my living room before I get a chance to take it to the lake in two weeks time!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Two friends of mine are 6'3" and 6'4", and they don't use the bar/footbrace in my Expedition. They stuff a small 5 or 10 litre drybag in the bow and press their feet against it instead.
When you're inflating chamber 1, inflate it only half-way or less. Then put some air in chamber 2. Then add some more air to 1, then 2. You don't want to try filling one chamber all the way and then the other.

NOTEORIUS

Post by NOTEORIUS » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

hi paddy. I have also just bought this kayak. I am very impressed with its construction thus far, although have not yet taken it on the water. I too am testing and learning its set up on dry land first. I am 6'1" and i find the foot brace on the furthest rung at its furthest angle from the cockpit to just fit for my knees and with the high backed, lumber adjustable seat all feels comfortable.

I must say the deck lifts don't seem to lift much and i'd imagine pooling of water there especially aft of the seat, unless i buy the spray skirt?. Anyone with any experience of this?, or indeed the spray skirts and is the touring one, that much more effective at keeping water out than the standard one?. That said i am being very very careful of over inflation of the deck lifts as per manual instructions,so this could be why it seems to dip there . Are the 1psi limits just the company being majorly precautious?. Any advice over this and this kayak regards keeping dry would be greatly appreciated.

On your second point paddy, I have also noticed like you, that upon inflation at spring valve 1, that localised section does become rather bulbous and additionally its very difficult to judge half inflation of the kayak when first attempting it. I am surprised advanced elements can't come up with better defined instructions for this if its so important. A final psi figure for valve 1 would be so much more helpful. I really don't want to damage this kayak. First time setting up i was very careful, then pumped up all the other chambers to their exact maximum in psi using the advanced elements double action pump with gauge. I then lifted the kayak up at one end and the kayak bent slightly in the middle. So how can that be if i'd hit all the manuals guidelines of psi?. So is it spring valve 1 that is under inflated?? and should i put more air in there at the end after inflating the floor?, because the floor is ?definately at 1 psi and the manual states in bold: DO NOT OVER INFLATE THE FLOOR. Can anyone help me with this please or the site administrator?. I can't wait to take the kayak out on the water, but want to be sure i am doing everything right first. I want this kayak to last a long time.

My last question is regards applying a waterproofer from new such as fabsil or nikwax?. Will this void the warranty?, is it recommended by Advanced Elements and would it be worth it? in speedying drying, longevity etc?. Could i combine that waterproofer with a uv spray also. or is it a case of one or the other?. Thanks ahead of time. :) :)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 pm

1. I am 6'2" and the Expedition is by far the kayak I choose when paddling a solo kayak.
The Foot Brace is for pushing off of, so if your legs are extended straight out, your not going to be pushing very much off of the foot brace. You might as well leave it behind if you want you legs straight out.
I prefer to paddle with legs slightly bent so I can push off the brace and get a stronger paddle stroke. If my legs are straight, my paddle stroke weakens.
2. 1 psi for the smaller chambers is what it is. You go higher, the tubes go pop! The deck lifts and coaming chambers only take a few pumps anyway, so pump until they are firm, not until it is difficult to pump. They should be nice and taught.
3. The Stern and bow area of the tubes are rounded and you will notice these area filling up faster then the rest because it is a bigger area.
Start with Valve #1. Inflate the kayak until it begins to take shape and rise off the ground. Go to Valve #2 and inflate the kayak until 2-2.5 psi or firm. You will approximately have equal pressure in each chamber at this point. If you do pick up the kayak from one end and it does bend, add some air. It's not going to hurt. The main chamber is less likely to over-inflate than the floor do to the gray tube cover limiting the amount the tube can stretch.
4. McNett product are what we suggest to extend the longevity of the kayak. UV TEch to protect against fading from the sun. Revivex or thundershield to help add extra water proofing. Remember, the underside of the deck is PVC so water won't leak through. It will soak the top though so you can spray it with either of the recommended products.

Hope this helps

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Noteorius, if you're finding the deck lifts do not lift your deck much, those little tubes might be tipped to the inside of the kayak -- the seam of the sleeve holding the long thin tube lets the tube lean to one side or the other side of the seam.. Tip them to the outside before the large inflation chambers are filled.
If you don't like the deck lifts tipped one way, try the other. Take some time to try looking at the deck when you've got the front deck lifts tipped in and the back deck lifts tipped out, or all the lifts tipped out, or all tipped in. I can deflate the deck lifts, tip them, and reinflate them without having to let air out of the large chambers.
The deck lifts work whether they're tipped in or out. I find that they are easy to inflate by mouth with one or two breaths, even though I have an inner ear thing and don't like to blow up balloons.
They are not essential. But they do make the deck a little tighter, with a little more room for your knees. I think adding deck lifts to the Lagoon was a good idea, because I sure like using them in the Expedition!

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

The foot brace on my Expedition is too wide to attach at the farthest attachment point (where the kayak gets narrower). The only way around it that I can see is to attach the brace at an angle, which is comfortable for one foot but not the other. I don't want to paddle without it altogether because I don't want to weaken my paddlestroke. Any suggestions? Maybe I can make my own shorter brace somehow. It seems odd that there are different attachment points but the brace is too wide to fit them. Design flaw? Am I missing something?
P.S. I'm only 5'8" and I have the seat back as far as it will go. I don't think I have disproportionately long legs. :lol:

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:18 am

Fasten the foot brace before inflating the Expedition, no matter which attachment point you're using. Much easier!

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 pm

PJohanson wrote:Fasten the foot brace before inflating the Expedition, no matter which attachment point you're using. Much easier!
Good idea!

I figured out my problem today though - I didn't notice you can adjust the straps. All I needed to do was lengthen them, which brought the brace down and in perfect position.

Zak

Post by Zak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 am

I'm 6ft 9 and you can see what I did about it here:
http://youtu.be/PUH3w-3Eub4