Ultralite Expedition main bladder

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

shremeck

Ultralite Expedition main bladder

Post by shremeck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Przemek and I'm new to this site.
I would like to ask a question regarding Ultra-Lite Expedition,model AE 1009-R
I'm planning to buy a second hand Ultra -Lite that does have a puncture to the main bladder. Does the main bladder from newer Frame Expedition model fit Ultra-Lite one? I'm asking in case hole in bladder that currently sits in Kayak is beyond repair as I might end up buying brand new bladder from current expedition model.Also if I decide to repair old one,does repair kit from Advanced Elements include material for making patches for bladder? Is there a big difference between old and new expedition model apart from color and lightweight bladder ? What about kayak dimensions.I did read older posts and found that problem with main bladder on older models was very common due to material they were made of.

Many thanks for all replies.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 am

The bladder material was improved and there are plenty of replacement poly-urethane bladders for the Ultra-Lite version. If it is just a puncture, it is probably a good tube and can be repaired with the repair kit that came with the kayak as long as you still have it.
The regular PVC tube should fit. If the valve position is slightly off, that is something that can easily be retro-fitted.
So you have three options.
1. Repair puncture
2. Buy new Polyurethane tube (what you currently have in the kayak) it would be the improved version
3. Buy a new PVC tube (may possibly need to be retro-fitted) It will add about 10 lbs. to the kayak.

shremeck

Post by shremeck » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello again and thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately I don't have original repair kit that came with Ultra-Lite .
Does it mean that if I buy new factory advanced elements repair kit it won't be suitable for original punctured tube as is made of different kind of material?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 am

That is correct. The AE2027 Repair Kit does not contain the poly-urethane material in it.

shremeck

Post by shremeck » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:37 am

Ok,I see,many thanks for your answers :D

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:45 am

I sent you a PM regarding the matter further.