Expedition Cargo Space

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

BirdDog

Expedition Cargo Space

Post by BirdDog » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello,

I've been religiously researching inflatables and have pretty much settled on the Expedition. I've got one question though, is there a storage compartment behind the seat? I noticed a zipper there and I'm wondering if that works well as storage space? Basically I just would like to know if people use it as storage or if it's simply a way to access the inside of the kayak and how you would rate the overall storage space of the Expedition.

Thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:59 am

There is a large space behind the seat for plenty of gear storage. The zipper is there to be able to access the area if you need to. If you see in the newer version, there is now a hatch on the back of the kayak for easier access.
http://www.advancedelements.com/advancedframe_ex.html

rglassey

Post by rglassey » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 am

The space behind the seat is something like just over 2 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot (getting narrower towards the back). Then for me (6'3" tall) there's also space in front of my feet for a smallish drybag.

Inside I can fit gear for a few days camping trip if I pack carefully. So we're talking stuff like a small tent, sleeping mat and bag, a stove, fuel, water filter, change of clothes, and food - all in a variety of drybags. The empty kayak bag gets shoved in here too.

The only things strapped down to the deck are a kayak kart, and the pump to the rear. To the front whatever footwear, cameras and stuff I want to get at quickly.

The expedition is much better for gear than the standard advanced frame - the standard has really only got enough space for a day trip. If you're tall the expedition is also a much more comfortable boat. If you had loads of gear the convertible would give you even more storage. Remember with all of these, the inflated tube running around the edges (think a large shaped rubber ring) takes up some of the internal space, but even with this it's surprising what can be fit in.

BirdDog

Post by BirdDog » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 am

Cool, thanks for the replies.

Hartley

Storage in the Expedition

Post by Hartley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:16 am

I will second rglassy's comments about the space available - an there is more than you think if you consider that the inside of the tubes are round, so there is space down toward the floor that isn't visible - packing soft and stuffing goes a long way, as does getting the excess air out of your dry bags.

If you put stuff on top in front of you, remember that it is a LOT easier to get in & out with the zipper opened down to your feet..:)

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am

I like using my Expedition for kayak camping!
Remember when loading the kayak to put the heavy, dense things (like a jug of water) low in the boat. The only bag on deck should be a light one so it won't make you top-heavy. I put the kayak's bag on deck, rolled up tight with a bungee.
It's a good idea to practise loading the kayak before your trip. I liked taking my boat to the water and flipping over on purpose in safe conditions, to be sure that I could get out safely and that there wouldn't be a yard sale with all my gear floating away or sinking to the bottom.