Seat

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

terrib972

Seat

Post by terrib972 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

I just received my Expedition 1009B (the blue one). In the setup video (with the previous yellow model) it appears that the top of the seat is connected to the back deck. I find a velcro loop on the top of seat back but I'm not finding anything to loop it to on the kayak. Does it no longer attach in this model or am I missing something? Seems like attaching would help with shedding water back there as it seems to sag in the middle without a bar like is installed in the front.

Thanks!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm

With the AE1009-B we made the improvement from the AE1009-Y by eliminating the rear zipper on the outer cover. This also eliminated the buckle that was there that you saw the velcro attach to.
The seats are the same across the board for all Advanced Frame models so the velcro strap remains.
To address any sagging that may be in the rear cover of your kayak, we would be more than happy to send you a thwart which will address that and push up the cover and tighten even more.
Please contact customer service info@advancedelements.com and refer to this post. Please have receipt and model number handy.

terrib972

Post by terrib972 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you!

Zak

Suggestion

Post by Zak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Please make the seat bottom to somehow attach to the floor as it's sliding around, mainly forward, in my two advanced frame kayaks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

If the seat is sliding forward, then the paddler is not in the proper paddle position. The paddler should be engaging their core by sitting upright and pushing their bum into the bottom of the seat. If the seat is sliding forward, that means that the paddler is leaning back onto the top of the seat.

Zak

LOL

Post by Zak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Completely understand your point of view BUT...

1. During boarding (i am 6"9) I am forced to slide in with great effort and with my knees going under the aluminum deck so SO thight that it feels like my skin getting peeled off my legs. My buoyancy also makes the exercise one idea harder for my size and Just after getting in I am almost always faced with my seat pushed way forward in the proces of squeezing in.

2. We are using them kayaks for fun and proper positions are something not in our life style. Check out for yourself: https://youtu.be/KJJ94LVwCsw

Few velcro strips on the floor will be graet addition.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm pretty close to you there with the height. The Expedition is my favorite of the single kayaks. Although it can be a slightly tight fit, I usually just push my body up by placing my hands on the sides of the boat. This allows me to get my body in position.
If you would like, you can head to your local fabric store and pick up some adhesive Velcro strips that you can place on both the seat and the floor to help you keep it in position.

Zak

Post by Zak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Expedition is too small for me but its the biggest of the single kayaks.
I wonder should I have bought the convertable instead? Will it accommodate my feet better?

With my expedition I can't move my feet at all, I can't use foot bar, pegs or ruder that I ordered but had to cancel when I squeezed my 206 cm inside Expedition for the first time and found myself completely immobilized.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:49 pm

The Convertible would definitely have more room. It is 15 ft. long. It comes in the open format but you can get the optional zip on decks. It has a set of buckles towards the center so that you can paddle it solo and have your weight distributed evenly throughout the kayak. There would be enough room to add the foot pegs if desired.