StraitEdge Canoe

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Ben82

StraitEdge Canoe

Post by Ben82 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:19 am

I am new to this and am looking to get hold of an inflatable. I've been reading alot of comments about the AdvancedFrame and other models but i havent seen any on the StraitEdge Canoe. Can anyone out there give me some opinion on it?

I'm asking about the canoe because it seems to be more within my budget whereas the other 2 seaters seem more pricey. I would mainly use it in freshwater environment, and definitely will be doing a lot of fishing from it. How would it hold up if i do decide to take it out on the coast occasionally?

The Dragonfly seem to be more popular over here in Australia but i think i would prefer something thats more suited for fishing.

cheers

seajams

Post by seajams » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm

while we have not done any fishing from our convertible, we do enjoy it very much and if only one person in it, there would be plenty of room for a days catch.

mad dawg

fishing from straitedge canoe

Post by mad dawg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 am

It comes with rod-holders, so the canoe was designed with fishing in mind. Lots of room for all your gear, and a day's catch.

I live far from the coast :( but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use it off the coast. You'll probably want to have an anchor on hand, as well as a spare double-bladed paddle. In fact, you'd probably want a kayak paddle as your primary as well. The canoe has a much wider beam than your typical kayak, so you'll want a longer than normal kayak paddle, especially if you are sitting in the middle.

It's open, so more susceptible to taking on water than a covered kayak. It's also a lot higher than a kayak, so more susceptible to wind. You can't roll a canoe, and I imagine that self-rescue would be a lot trickier.

Know your tides and weather conditions. Stay close to shore. Stay in protected waters. And take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I have to mention again that I live far from any coastal waters. The only experience that I have with my straitedge canoe in the sea is in my dreams, and even then, it doesn't always turn out well.

ETA - I know this is a really old post. I'm replying to it mainly beause I too sometimes wonder how my straitedge canoe would do in coastal waters. Would it be worth lugging out with me should I be so lucky as to have a chance to visit the coast?

machineboy

Post by machineboy » Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 am

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would share my experience with the Straitedge canoe in windy seawater conditions. My dad and I took my straitedge out last summer on a windy day with waves with some white foam. The canoe was behaving very well even when parallel to the waves and we never felt we were going to tip over (we were close to land so it was not a risky trip). It was very hard to paddle in very windy conditions though, so we didn't get far. But as far as stability goes, I've never been in a more stable canoe!

JimD

Post by JimD » Wed May 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Machineboy welcome :)
Glad you felt stable in the straitedge. Hope you keep us up to date with your other canoe/kayak trips!