Some Questions about the StraitEdge Angler.

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bolgar2

Some Questions about the StraitEdge Angler.

Post by bolgar2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:35 am

Hi thinking about getting the straitedge Angler to use as a fishing platform as i live in an apartment and have limited space.

It states 136 kilo capacity. How much of a close one is that? i weight 117k and am 184 cm and by the time you add gear it might be creeping up there a bit.

How stable are they?

How dry a ride are they?

How well do they track?

Does the wind cause them a lot of grieve?

I will mostly be fishing in a bay. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=port+phil ... CEoQ8gEwAw and not in really adverse conditions.

Thanks for your time
Brian

sonar

Post by sonar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:10 am

Hi bolgar2.

Welcome to the forum.

Thinking about getting one.! Do It your not find a better Kayack than Advanced Elements.

I have the A.F so know nothing about the model your most likely to buy.

But there will be a few other forum members about soon so I guess all your questions will be answered..

JimD

Post by JimD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:15 am

Hi,
I don't have this model either, but a group of sea-anglers in Wales tested one and have put a review on http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/id204.html

Looks as if they like it.

Stogie

Post by Stogie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 am

Bolgar I have the Straight Edge II and use it for fishing. I am pretty big about 280 and have no problem in the SEII. I had myself and a friend in it the other day and it handled the weight fine. Total weight about 460.

The ride can be pretty dry if set up right. It also has the self bailers, but I keep them closed. You get some water in from your feet and from the paddle but it sits under/beside the center air chamber and does not get you wet unless you get alot of water in.

It is a very stable platform, I recommend a high back seat for support. I just put in a soft stadium seat with high back support on top of the stock seat.

I primarily fly fish and find it works fine but needs a little adjustment with a paddle to keep steady, it tends to turn and drift a little. I just set the paddle in my lap and make small adjustments. Besides whenever I pick up the paddle I usually get a bite. Seems to work that way.

I plan on fly fishing some streams this next summer and look forward to trying it out. I have a dry bag and an anchor and plan on rigging so I can fish class 1 and 2 water, it should handle some class 3 also. Summertime in rough water is probally when I will need the self bailing feature.