Pontoons and saltwater

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Gus3836

Pontoons and saltwater

Post by Gus3836 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Has anyone tried the Scotty inflatable stabilizers so you can stand in the Angler? And does anyone have any good experience in salt water with kayak. I have used mine on Tarpon Bay on Sanibel Is with no issues. What about around Marco Is near the mangroves. Some think I am asking for trouble in an inflatable with the possibility of sharks or gators lots of creatures that can attack. Any opinions on an anchor or an anchor pole.
Caught a nice snook in January in Tarpon bay

Gus

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Gus
I do a lot of saltwater paddling. There are sharks here but most of the ones that come close to people are only 3 or 4 feet long and we call 'em dogfish. My kayaking group has never had any problems at all with any sharks.
We're careful not to approach orcas (killer whales) not only because it's the law to stay at least a hundred yards away, but because if I collide with a whale or come close to her baby I cannot blame her for reacting to scare me away.

From what I hear about alligators, don't they mostly attack boats that have crept up on them and collided? Have you seen any while paddling near the mangroves? Would you feel safe paddling with friends? I'd worry a little about snakes.