You know what I'd love?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Joan

You know what I'd love?

Post by Joan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 am

...a rearview mirror!

Yesterday I was sailing across the bay with my RapidUp Sail and there was a LARGE sailboat on the same track directly behind me. Needless to say he was moving at a much faster clip that I was! There have also been times, when kayaking with friends, where I would have liked to have known how close they were behind me. I wouldn't want to hold anyone up if they wanted to paddle faster than me so it would have been handy.

Anyone have any ideas on where and how to mount it?

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 am

No idea on mounting a mirror to the kayak but I have seen mirrors that cyclist use to attach to their helmets. I assume they have something you can use.

Just for safety it may sometimes be necessary to turn sideways just to make sure they see you. Assume they are idiots because a lot of them are. Trust me on that one. Since your kayak is yellow or orange it doesn't take much.

sonar

Post by sonar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:30 am

Yes I saw a coxswain in a large rowing boat only last night.
About 8 guys rowing he was steering and on his hat he had a wire with a small mirror fitted to it.

As you said a rear view mirror.

The other option could be a car interior mirror fitted somewhere on the front deck.

Glue a magnet to the bottom of the mirror then give the magnet a coat of either nail varnish or std exterior varnish.

Take another magnet and do the same.
Place one magnet under the deck and place the mirror magnet on top.

It will be removable and ajustable at all times.

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you both for those great ideas!!

I thought about a bike mirror but didn't know how they attach. If they make something that would clip on, that might work on my baseball style cap I always wear.

I also thought about a car mirror. I really like the magnet/removable idea!

Again many thanks, gentlemen!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 am

Here you go. I found something on Amazon. They may have more but this one came up first. I know they make one for a baseball cap but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Eyeglas ... 05&sr=8-32

Don

Joan

Post by Joan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:48 am

Excellent!!!

I looked at Wal*Mart last evening but they only had a couple of mirrors that attached to the handle bar. (I really don't want to pack a bike in or on my kayak! :lol:) ANOTHER great idea, Don! Thank you!!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Always a pleasure. Let us know how it works.

sonar

Post by sonar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:15 am

Another option could be a small piece of Plastic mirror glued to part of a paddle blade.