Island Voyage 2

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ATPringles

Island Voyage 2

Post by ATPringles » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 am

Does that use a backbone? I am thinking about getting it to use, as a solo boat, for camping trips. I have a Lagoon and an Advanced Frame, and I'm thinking the extra space would give me space to put camping gear. Am I on the right track with this purpose for this boat?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

It is a great boat for carrying gear. If you are looking for performance like the Advanced Frame, not as much.
You cannot use a backbone with this kayak.
I personally use it when camping. Great for tendering gear to secluded locations.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks. I'm thinking i may take it to the Tetons to camp. I am pretty sure I can hug the shoreto stay out of wind and waves, and I"ll try to go early. I'm a little concerned about bears being interested in it. I may uninflate it and stick it in my tent. Have you heard of AE boats being the subject of curious bears?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 am

No, I have never heard of such a thing. I think you would be fine as long as you don't smear food on the kayak or leave food in it.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks. I'll avoid smearing peanut butter on it. :-)

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:24 am

THis may seem redundant, but does this boat tend to taco?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am

Only if it is under inflated.
I have pushed the weight limits by throwing gear, coolers, kids, etc into it, and it holds firm as long as the pressure is where it is supposed to be.
I usually inflate, let it sit in the water for 10 minutes, then top it off. I then monitor it during the day, especially because it is usually out in the sun and can expand, so then I let pressure out. I always carry a pump too, to re-inflate when necessary.