Cold Water Paddling?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NewYakkerinNY

Cold Water Paddling?

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 am

Still new to the forum ... get my kayak (Expedition) next week...

I want to be able to kayak "most" of the year. I was wondering if anyone on the forum (quiet as it seems) does so with an AE kayak. If so, how is it? Anyone have pictures?

Tom

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat May 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Tom
Sure, I paddle year-round. Been doing so with a Dragonfly (new name for the revised model is Lagoon) for three years. Now I have an Expedition and a StraitEdge2 and plan to be using them when winter comes.
I'm on the other coast from you, north of Seattle, so the weather doesn't get quite as cold. But the ocean water never gets warm, and there are new storm fronts blowing in almost every week.
Near as I can tell, these inflatable kayaks are fine to paddle in winter. They are mostly above the water's surface, so wind will blow them away more than it would a hardshell kayak of similar length. So long as you have safety in mind, you are very likely to find these kayaks are fine for paddling even in temperatures below freezing.
If there's ice around, any kayaker should be careful, of course. The cold water may shrink the air inside the flotation chambers, but these kayaks float even when only mostly full instead of full. You may decide that after the first 20 minutes you need to use a pump for two or three more strokes, or you may be like me and just keep paddling in a slightly softer boat than I started.
The best thing about paddling in winter is that I don't get overheated wearing my wetsuit and paddle jacket and gloves and boots! We have to wear this gear year-round here when sea kayaking, because the water never warms up much even in August.
Bottom line: It won't be the AE kayak that keeps you off the water in winter, it'll be stormy weather that would keep most kayakers off the water except the nutbar daredevils.

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks for the response.... I am really looking forward to all the seasons on the water. Long Island is such a mixed bag, I can't wait to experience even more then I already have of my home.

JapanConsidered

Re: Cold Water Paddling?

Post by JapanConsidered » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Tom,

Just saw your note. We live in the South Carolina Midlands. So, the climate is relatively temperate. But I've paddled year-round. In mid-40s F air temps, at the coldest, if memory serves. Just have to bundle up, and be prepared to survive an emergency dunk should it happen. I sure prefer it to the mid-90s with punishing sun that we're experiencing now!

I have an AF Expedition. Never had problems with it under those conditions. Either paddling or inflate/deflate.

Others will have had more experience.

Bob
www.JapanConsidered.com

NewYakkerinNY wrote:Still new to the forum ... get my kayak (Expedition) next week...

I want to be able to kayak "most" of the year. I was wondering if anyone on the forum (quiet as it seems) does so with an AE kayak. If so, how is it? Anyone have pictures?

Tom