Rolling

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jimclayton

Rolling

Post by jimclayton » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:18 am

Hi

I have just taken UK delivery of a convertible - maiden voyage scheduled for Saturday morning and I have a question about the AE spray decks.

I read somewhere while researching the purchase that the spray decks for these boats keep you dry but are not suitable for eskimo rolling... does anyone have any experience of this?

Airkayaks.com kitted me out with the convertible, both decks and a backbone at a very reasonable price, although I have yet to buy a spray deck due to the rolling question - I would certainly recommend both their price and service.

Cheers

Jim

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:12 am

I have never tried to roll but from everything I have read I wouldn't try it in the AE. I don't believe the spray deck would sit tight enough to keep water out.

The spray deck does however work good to keep rain out and the heat in. Have used it in water just above freezing and was very comfortable.

Good luck on Saturday. I remember the first time I had mine out last year. You couldn't pry me out of it the rest of the season. :D

jimclayton

Post by jimclayton » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:53 am

Rookie

Thanks for the reply - it tallies with what I read before buying and makes perfect sense. I can't remember where, but I am sure that I have seen a reference to rolling somewhere since...

Cheers

Jim

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:27 am

Jim,

Although it could happen, it almost nearly impossible to do a eskimo roll in the Convertible. It is too long and too stable to do so. The Spray skirt would not keep the water completely out if it were to happen. We have seen the 10'5" Advanced Frame rolled though.

Jeremy

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am

^^ Good point on the stability J. :D

After having used one for a year now, I think you would be hard pressed to get it to role. This was one of the reasons we went the route of the AdvancedFrame.