Help/Advice needed !!

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

trev007

Help/Advice needed !!

Post by trev007 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi All, I am new here and was given this site by an Australian dealer when I phoned to see what they had in stock. I am in a bit of a pickle re choice. I wanted to buy a kayak for my partner for christmas. I have been admiring the AF convertable and thought that would be the bees knees. But I wouldnt mind finding out from anyone thats been in the post purchase situation to see what I should do. On occassion we would be using it alone, so would need to be able to be transported (200 metres to the river from home) or chucked into the back of our wagon and taken elsewhere, then assembled. Would the Dragonfly2 be an easier option, or not really much difference as far as effort goes to set either up as a solo? Obviously prices are considerably different and I assume this is reflected in the quality of the AF convertable? I need to decide which of the two to get, uses will be river/estury, maybe ocean if calm.

Thanks in advance Trev.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Well, it's not like you're going to go wrong with any of these models! I like every one I've tried.
The Convertible is very handy as a double. But if there will often be outings with one person, perhaps you might consider getting two 10.5 or two Expedition models.
I really like the Lagoon single. (I have an older version, called the Dragonfly.) It is so easy for me to carry it around and take it on the bus or in a friend's car. This is a big issue for me, as I am a short woman. My husband has no problem carrying the Expedition, which weighs twice what the Lagoon does.
I inflate the Lagoon and carry it on my shoulder about 300 metres/yards to the water. To get the Expedition to the water, I use a set of wheels.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 am

The Convertible gets it's name because it can convert from a tandem to a single with the paddler sitting in the middle so that weight is distributed evenly throughout the kayak. The Lagoon2(2009 model) or Dragonfly2 XC(2008 model) only allows the paddler to paddle from thr rear seat position when paddleing solo. Therfore the weight is mostly in the rear of the kayak and needs to be offset by some sort of ballast in the front to get a more even weight distribution.
Both are great kayaks and will get the job done but it also depends on how long you plan on going out for. For quicker and shorter paddles, the Lagoon2 will suffice just fine. For longer faster paddles, you will want to look into the Convertible.
If you cannot locate one in Australia, I would look at a number of the US online dealers. You may be able to find a good deal.

Jeremy
8)

trev007

Post by trev007 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, looks like I will get the convertable.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:22 am

We wrestled with similar decision ourselves and also have decided to go for the convertible in the spring. Deciding factors for us was better tracking and larger size/cargo room. We'll be using in flat water lakes and coastal bays. We'll use a cart of some kind to carry to the water for times when it's not close to parking. I've seen some good ideas such as using a fold-able luggage cart to carry the folded kayak or potentially one of those kayak carts to move it inflated.

trev007

Post by trev007 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks MikeSue, Did you find it a good decision to buy?

I took the plunge and ordered one yesterday from a dealer, gets delivered early next week to my home, so looking forward to it.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 am

We have to postpone buying ours because of the winter just starting here :( but we are happy with our choice. Good luck on yours, hope to hear a good story of your maiden voyage! Take some pictures so we have something to look at while it's snowing here :(