Repairing scrapes and wear on outer skin bottom

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators:JCOOLEY, rsimpson

MediterraSwim
Repairing scrapes and wear on outer skin bottom

Post by MediterraSwim » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:19 pm

I have two AE1044DS-XLC kayaks, and very pleased. They've been to lakes and seas and rivers, local and overseas. We are very careful with our gear and clean it well, but there is inevitable scraping and wear on the bottom of the outer skin hull with sand and rocks. What can I apply to the scrapes and roughened wear spots to smooth them out, protect and lengthen the life of the vinyl?

PJohanson

Re: Repairing scrapes and wear on outer skin bottom

Post by PJohanson » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:57 pm

I have used my AE kayaks for years (my old Dragonfly is over twelve years old) and they have light scratches on the bottom. Only three scratches ever needed anything done to them.
My opinion about scratches has two elements.
1. Try not to scratch the hull! Dragging it WILL scratch the hull, even on grass or sand. Whenever possible, lift the kayak and carry it, even a step or two, even if you lift one end & move it then lift the other end & move it. When launching or landing, have as little of the boat onshore as possible -- get your feet wet rather than grind the hull against rocks and sand.
2. Don't worry about light scratches. If the groove is deep enough to catch your fingernail, then take some of the sealant from your patch kit and wipe it into the scratch. It probably won't be needed. If it's a hole going through the hull, seal and patch the inside, then seal and patch the outside.
Buy spare tubes of sealant at stores that sell marine supplies and epoxy & so on.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Repairing scrapes and wear on outer skin bottom

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:03 am

AquaSeal will help fill any gouges and provides a tough seal.
You can always add a patch of TearAid Type B as well if you are concerned. This too can wear over time as it is a light patch.