difficult to dry out

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

kreplerfp

difficult to dry out

Post by kreplerfp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 am

I have 2 advanced frame kayaks. The worst part of owning them is getting them dry, to put in the bag.The summertime is great when the weather is hot and you can open them to the sun,but in the spring and fall when the weather is cooler and the sun is not shining it is difficult to get them dry.I have tryed wiping them out, but the tubes never seem to get dry unless you take them out(pain).Has anyone come up with a drying method that is quicker and easier?
Thanks

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 pm

The best way to dry them is to seperate the outer cover from the tube/tube cover. Unscrew the locking nut on the top, this will allow the tube to be removed from the oute cover(shell), Then, reach into the kayak and pull the tube out. It will dry much quicker this way.

kreplerfp

drying

Post by kreplerfp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

I`m not sure where the locking nut is on the top that your talking about

Thanks

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:10 pm

He means these ones..

I'm lucky here that the weather is hot, but I still have to take a little time to dry the yak sometimes. What I do is inflate the kayak (without the floor) and place 4 blocks - under the bow, stern and 1 on each side. This lifts the yak off the floor and lifts the tubes off the kayak hull - allowing the water to drain to the lowest part. I then sponge out the water that collects and find that the kayak tubes dry out faster.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

I do pretty much what Pearly does but I use an artifical shami. It makes quick work of getting the excess water out.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm

I don't worry too much about drying the tubes.
With the tubes inflated only about 25%, I can hold a small towel or terrytowel facecloth and rub it between the tube and the inside of the hull or inside of the deck. This blots up most of the water. The last bit of dampness hasn't caused my boats any problems yet.