large hole rapair on advance airframe (which i love)

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

SJack

large hole rapair on advance airframe (which i love)

Post by SJack » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 am

I've had my green Advancedframe 2 for some years now (the one prior to the convertible) and last winter it was stored in the garden shed. Mice managed to get in and nest. They nibbled through the outer shell, the inner zip shell and the first outer inflatable tube. Luckily the inner inflatable tube is intact.
What worries me is that it's quite a size. I have an original repair that can with my single seater red Advancedframe, which i'm sure will do the job. However, before I try to patch this, does anyone have any advice on how to go about repairing this, if at all possible. Is it over the size threashold for a rapair? I'm also worried about glue getting inside the hole a gluing to the inner tube.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 pm

That can be repaired with one of the patches from your repair kit. You can use some tear-aid type B, to ensure that no glue gets into the hole. Tear-aid is a self-adhesive PVC repair tape that can be applied to just about anywhere. Then, you can just go over the tear-aid with a large patch.

SJack

Post by SJack » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am

so would you use the tear aid inside the tube, sticky side facing out? or just over the hole?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am

It will probably be best to put it on the inside so that glue doesn't drip inside the tube and so that you can glue a large enough patch to the outside.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 am

SJack wrote:so would you use the tear aid inside the tube, sticky side facing out? or just over the hole?
Yes, place the tear-aid inside the hole, with the sticky side facing out. It may take you a few tries to do this though. THe tear-aid is super sticky. THis will insure that no glue gets inside the tube.