large grain sand in bow of AE sport

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

ianforster1

large grain sand in bow of AE sport

Post by ianforster1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:59 am

I am a brand new owner and I was paddling for a month in Penang Malaysia with my new Sport which worked perfectly. I did not notice that I had taken on some large grain sand from the beach which was not cleaned out, now I have a load of sand in the bow which I cannot get out, this has produced some dimpling and in one case a pinprick hole in the PVC. I cannot get at it to clean it out. Is there some way of separating the tube from the outer skin to clean both properly, what is the best way to fix the tiny holes, and what is the black valve in the repair kit for.All suggestions gratefully received!! thanks, PS I really love this Kayak, have an old Helios 11 that I plan to put out to pasture and replace with a convertible so I would like to learn as much as possible about these Kayaks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 am

You can completely remove the tube and floor so that only the outer cover remains. Unscrew the locking nut that holds the main valve in place in order to do this. Once removed, located where pebbles are and remove. If they are in the bow or stern arean and have found their way in between the outer cover and the hard plastic forms, you can remove the plastic forms, remove the pebbles then put the plastic forms back in place.
You can use the repair kit to fix the small pinhole. It can be fixed with either a dab of the glue or a small patch.

ianforster1

sand in Kayak

Post by ianforster1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks for the help. The nut is so tight I cannot move it. Is there a special tool one can get to loosen and tighten the nut? Failing that is there any lubricant I can use to loosen it? eg silicone? Thanks. Ian

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey Ian; I had the same problem with sand in that area too. You can fashion a sort of wrench out of a scrap piece of wood panel or something similar. Just cut a square notch in it the same size as the outside of the nut. That should be sufficient to undo the nut. When you get access to the hard black plastic pieces, you will have to pull back that white fringe material a bit, it stretches nicely, and then curl the end of the black plastic outside of the fringe. Once you get one end out, it comes pretty easily. Then, when you're putting them back, just shove the front part in first and then curl the other end of the black plastic downward until it can be pushed back inside the white fringe. Then just run your finger around the inside edge of the fringe until the black plastic piece is seated properly.