repair question

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

marc.cardwell

repair question

Post by marc.cardwell » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 pm

i'm pretty sure what to do but just want some backup on repairs of the following:

on the gray hull (no where near the tubes), i have 2 or 3 scratches that appear to have dug into the material more than just a little. they are only 1-2 inches long and i cannot see the scratch from the inside. more concerning is a puncture, very small in diameter, but i CAN see the puncture on the inside.

SO, to repair, do i just need to use the provided kit, cut some of the gray material, adhere the patches to the outside only for the scratches and BOTH sides for the puncture? i read about letting the glue cure for 6 hours before use. do i need that seal tape sold in marine stores?

thanks for any input.
ps: my boat was manufactured in 09, and never used until i bought it this summer. is the glue still good?

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Marc, if it was me, I would just get myself a tube of Aquaseal and apply a small amount to the damaged areas, filling in any deep scratches and sealing the small puncture. If you wanted, you could also apply a little to the inside of that small puncture, just to be sure. I don't believe there is a need to put a patch on it. If you don't have a local source for Aquaseal, it can be found on ebay for about ten bucks or less. Let it dry for about 24 hours before using the kayak again.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:28 am

Thats just what i did too , filled the scratch perfectly as Aquaseal continues to flow a bit for a while before curing via moisture in the air.
Seal the tube wel and keep it in the freezer , thawing out in a cup of hot water before use , otherwise it tends to harden out fast .

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 am

thanks guys for the help. we have a west marine in my city, so i'll look there.

Timbo, good tip on putting the tube in the freezer! i've had so many tubes of glue, cauk, etc. go bad over the years, having just needed it every now and then.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Good advice!
I have been leaving the little scratches alone. The hull is not pierced, and I haven't worried.