303 Spray on chamber covers?

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

oldrock

303 Spray on chamber covers?

Post by oldrock » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 am

I've seen several posts recommending 303 Products Fabric Guard spray on the outer cover. Has anyone tried spraying the inner canvas air chamber covers to reduce the amount of water they soak up? Does it help with drying? Is there any reason not to do this? Is 303 the best for this or is there a better product to use?

Thanks

Windnut

Re: 303 Spray on chamber covers?

Post by Windnut » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:17 am

There are quite a few different products that do the job I used the one that a local marine supplier had on sale and it worked real well and was easy to use. I sprayed the outside of both of my Expedition kayaks with one 22 oz. bottle without any trouble. I didn't spray the inside but will try it next time, because it should keep the water from soaking in. Yesterday when I came home from fishing I noticed that the fish residue that was under my milk crate where I keep the caught fish on the front deck washed off real easy with the hose so it looked like it didn't soak in which I'm sure it would have without the Star-Brite. Any splashes seem to bead up and run off.
http://www.starbrite.com/item/waterproo ... ory_id=558
West Marine carries it.

dmac_pdx

303 protectant; which one?

Post by dmac_pdx » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi, just bought an AE1012 and have seen lots of posts recommending 303. They sell vastly different products, however, and even the Amazon reviews are all mixed up in regards to being under the wrong product heading.

I have both the:

#30674 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant
[and]
303 Aerospace Protectant (made for non-woven surfaces)

Seems like the Fabric Guard would be used on the top deck nylon (label says don't use on vinyl--not sure if PVC is safe or not) & the Aerospace Protectant on all of the PVC surfaces.

Is this correct or does anyone have any other observations?

Thanks for helping the newb!

Timbo

Re: 303 protectant; which one?

Post by Timbo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm

dmac_pdx wrote:Hi, just bought an AE1012 and have seen lots of posts recommending 303. They sell vastly different products, however, and even the Amazon reviews are all mixed up in regards to being under the wrong product heading.

I have both the:

#30674 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant
[and]
303 Aerospace Protectant (made for non-woven surfaces)

Seems like the Fabric Guard would be used on the top deck nylon (label says don't use on vinyl--not sure if PVC is safe or not) & the Aerospace Protectant on all of the PVC surfaces.

Is this correct or does anyone have any other observations?

Thanks for helping the newb!

You are right , use the Fabric Guard on the top deck , i do , works perfectly .
As far as the Aerospace Protectant goes http://303products.com/product-uses/protectant-on-vinyl
Btw I have nothing to do with 303 , just a satisfied user . Just make sure you mask off any plastic valves or pvc bits you don`t want to coat , otherwise it will leave a white-ish deposit , but which can be easily remove
I think the teflon in the Fabric Guard should also help to reduce the friction between the inner and outer when inflating and therefore help with any misalignment issues, when used on the inner main tube.

dmac_pdx

Post by dmac_pdx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Awesome; thanks for the link. I guess I'll go all in with both products in combination.

spikeithard

Post by spikeithard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 am

I have the 303 aerospace spray. will this be the same stuff to use on the kayak?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:11 pm

303 will work.
UV Tech from McNett also.

spikeithard

Post by spikeithard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:43 pm

so the 303 can be used all over the boat other than floor and hull? any fabric-ish material good to go?

Peds109

Post by Peds109 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:03 am

Later in the season than I wanted, but I’m gearing up to take my Expedition out for its second year. I have:
303 marine/recreational fabric guard water repellent
303 aerospace marine UV protectant

I plan to inflate the kayak and hit the top skin and chambers underneath with the fabric guard.

I plan to hit the bottom of the boat with the UV protectant.

My questions are...

Is there any benefit to putting the UV protectant on the inside floor? It’s covered by the DS floor, but if I’m hitting the other side that’s mostly in the water, why not use it on the same material inside the boat?

Also, should/can I use the UV protectant on the drop stitch floor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 am

Joe,

You shouldn't need to spray the floor or the bottom of the kayak. The PVC material does not get affected as much by the UV. You can if you'd like as it won't cause any issues.
It is more for the fabric, so it does not fade.

Peds109

Post by Peds109 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:46 am

Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve read a lot of people say to use the 303 fabric guard... AND the 303 aerospace.

My question, then, is where is the aerospace being applied? I get the fabric guard... but not sure which vinyl/pvc/rubber materials would need the aerospace if not the floor or underside of the kayak?

Also, any thoughts on the DS floor? That is in direct sunlight sometimes. Safe for aerospace?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am

Again, you don't really need the 303 aerospace. Not enough PVC is exposed to the sunlight.
The only time you may need the 303 aerospace is if you are paddling the StraightEdge Kayaks. Those are all PVC and no Fabric.
Most of the PVC in the Expedition is covered by the Fabric of the kayak and the underside won't really see any sun exposure since it will be in the water.
The inside cockpit area won't really be exposed because it is not a very large opening and you will be sitting inside it.
If you have the AE1009 Expedition kayak, then you will only need the 303 Fabric Guard to help protect the outer cover.