Hole and unstitching in the bow AFC

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

soalle

Hole and unstitching in the bow AFC

Post by soalle » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 am

Hello all,

I believe we have problems in the bow of our Advanced Frame Convertible.
Tubes are fine, all the facts below refer to the outer cover.

Here it is the story:
- every time we go out kayaking, we come back with at least 5cm (2in) of water below the floor, despite using the double deck cover.
- after inspection we found that there is a very small scratch (1mm) on the *outside* of the bow over the bow black protection
- after closer inspection, we found that always at the bow level in the *inside* of the outer cover (gray material here) the stitching basically broke causing a cut 5 cm long.
- we poured water inside the outer cover and we have seen that it looses water (a drop a second or so)

You can see the inner cut here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxW36km ... sp=sharing
and the outer pinhole here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxW36km ... edit?pli=1

Now, the question is:

should we repair with glue *outside* the black material and on the *inside* put a grey patch along the stitching?

I believe we own a old repair kit with circle-shape patches. That would most probably require two patches to cover the whole cut.
Do you suggest to get the new repair kit ae2027 that it looks like it has longer rectangular patches? (in which case, where in Europe?)[/i]

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 am

This is exactly why I made this modification to my AdvancedFrame;

http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.co ... fications/

I would suggest you do the same. These two areas of the kayak take the most abuse, and this is a very simple way to increase the durability without adding much weight, or interfering with the folding of the kayak.

As far as fixing the damage you already have goes, I'd put a PVC patch on both the inside and the outside using the repair kit that came with the kayak. You can cut the round patches to whatever shape you would like. When the patches have set, go around the edges of the patch with AquaSeal. I've done a patch like this and it's holding nicely. Be sure to wipe off the area to be patched with some alcohol first, to make sure the surface is as clean as you can get it.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm

It would be best to patch both outside and inside. You can cut down the circular patches to make them smaller for the outside. The hole on the outside looks like it got banged up pretty good or it was dragged across the ground. Dragging the kayak will wear a hole right through the material.
The split on the inside looks like it occurred when the kayak rammed into something or was pushed with feet, hard, from the inside. The aluminum rib must of got off center a bit and tore through the material. Both a fixable. If you want matching material for the outside, contact customer service and they can send some to you. info@advancedelements.com

soalle

Post by soalle » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks for your answer!

We bought the kayak used here in Europe for a very low price but unfortunately those were most probably there (without us realizing).