Small hole in the Expedition's main tube

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

vsj

Small hole in the Expedition's main tube

Post by vsj » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 am

My Expedition's (AE1009-LTD) outer main chamber started leaking and I found this small 1 - 2 millimeter hole in the main tube.

It's located at the bow, right below the seam, about 15 cm (or 5 - 6 inches) from the nose.

I haven't found any evidence of anything piercing the hull or the tube cover nor have I ever opened the cover before.

To me it somewhat resembles the issues reported in http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=616

I've applied glue only for now but I think I'll try to reinforce it with a patch or some of that Tear Aid suggested elsewhere.

Is this something that could be caused by overinflation?

I was very surprised by how well the boat floats with only half of the tube inflated, even with significant load. Encouraged by this I intend to be super careful about overinflation in the future but to be honest I just don't feel like I could've caused this with it.

If this is a manufacturing defect, is there something I should do to prevent more of these holes from appearing?

Redstone

Re: Small hole in the Expedition's main tube

Post by Redstone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 am

Just bumping. I would like to see replies. Thanks, Tom

vsj wrote:My Expedition's (AE1009-LTD) outer main chamber started leaking and I found this small 1 - 2 millimeter hole in the main tube.

It's located at the bow, right below the seam, about 15 cm (or 5 - 6 inches) from the nose.

I haven't found any evidence of anything piercing the hull or the tube cover nor have I ever opened the cover before.

To me it somewhat resembles the issues reported in http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=616

I've applied glue only for now but I think I'll try to reinforce it with a patch or some of that Tear Aid suggested elsewhere.

Is this something that could be caused by overinflation?

I was very surprised by how well the boat floats with only half of the tube inflated, even with significant load. Encouraged by this I intend to be super careful about overinflation in the future but to be honest I just don't feel like I could've caused this with it.

If this is a manufacturing defect, is there something I should do to prevent more of these holes from appearing?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

I too am impressed by how well these kayaks float even partly inflated!

That tiny hole -- could it have been worn by a small stone pinched between the outer hull and the covered inflation tube?

I would use the patching materials in the kit to put a patch over that sealed hole.