Coaming replacements on Dfly II

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

BladeZealot

Coaming replacements on Dfly II

Post by BladeZealot » Mon May 19, 2008 4:52 pm

I purchsed replacement inflation tubes for the Dfly II not too long ago, as one of the two I have was purchased second hand and the tubes were no longer airtight.

Any suggestions on getting them in the coaming sleeves?? I've not had much luck at getting them to slide in very far.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 am

You may have to inch them along by bunching the material up around the tube or get a long non-sharp stick to help push the tube through. I have even tied string around the valve to pull it through.

Jeremy
8)

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Tue May 20, 2008 3:11 pm

thanks Jeremy. I had tried taping the chamber to a piece of hose, but the tape did not hold as I ran the hose through the coaming.

The string is a good idea. I think I'll take a wire coat hanger to pull the string through, then use the string to finish the job.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue May 20, 2008 3:28 pm

When you do that, as you pull the tube through, it will still get hung up so you will need to adjust the outer cover material as you pull the tube through. Don't yank too hard because if you get the tube half way through and the string comes off, then you have to start over. Believe me, it can take a little while and some patience.

Jeremy
8)