How do I fix a tear in black rubber on the bottom of kayak?

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Damien

How do I fix a tear in black rubber on the bottom of kayak?

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:42 pm

I must've dragged my AE AF1 over something very sharp, fortunately the grey portion of the bottom of the kayak was just scraped but the black rubberized portion on the tip of the bottom of the stern got a tear about 4" long. It looks like a knife or razor cut so I'm wondering if glass or a nail caught it. It was deep enough to just graze the inside grey layer so we patched the inside layer with the enclosed repair kit but now I want patch the actual black rubber portion so as to reinforce and strengthen it.

I've seen you recommend Tear Aid for repairs for the AE Kayaks. Should I use this stuff? If so, where do I get it? (I live in New Jersey).

Should I use Type "A" or "B"? I see that you recommend Type "B" for tears on the kayaks but I'm wondering that since the area that is ripped seems to be the black rubber, not the vinyl portion, if the Type "A", which is designated for rubber, would work better?

I want to repair this quickly because I don't want it to get worse. Right now there aren't any leaks but I want to prevent that from happening.

Thanks for your help!