Dragging over oysters

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Emanate

Dragging over oysters

Post by Emanate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm looking into getting an Advanced Elements kayak, but I'm not sure how it will go with the oysters and sharp rocks in my area. Has anyone dragged their kayak over oysters or rocks? Has it damaged the kayak?

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:24 am

Emanate,
I would not want to drag any kayak/boat over sharp rocks, oysters or barnacles, since those things will do damage to any type of boat. We have only been out a couple of times in our AF kayaks, but I have gone over some sharp rocks both times. Yesterday, we barely touched them, but last week was a different story.

There were some pretty big waves breaking on a coral reef that we needed to get through. I looked for a spot that didn't have many waves breaking and decided to try to get through that spot (hoping that the reef was deeper at that point). I didn't time the wave sets and and as we got close a huge wave hit us from behind and drove us right at the reef. I was able to keep the kayak heading straight with no difficulty, but we were moving fast. The wave dumped us onto the rocks that were just about a foot below the waterline and we stopped dead in our tracts. The following wave swamped the boat, and we weren't going anywhere.

The kayak never sank, but it took some work to get off the rocks. I got to shore, emptied the kayak and examined the hull, and it was barely scratched. I got it home and took a good look at it, and you never would have known that it was thrown onto the rocks like it was. These kayaks have a very durable bottom. I am learning our area, however, and will avoid those extremely low areas in the future. Continued punishment like that, and no boat will last very long.

Daddy-O

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:25 pm

I've accidentally run onto rocks with barnacles and oysters. My Dragonfly (the model is now called a Lagoon) now has scratches on the outside of the hull that are invisible from the inside. (I've taken out the inflation chambers and checked.) I still patched the two biggest scratches just to be extra sure. Use the recommended patching material. Jeremy has posted about it.
My advice is never drag the kayak, loaded or unloaded, inflated or uninflated, or even in its bag. If you can't lift and carry it, lift one end and strap a set of wheels under it, then lift the one end and roll it along.
If wheels aren't available or the sand bogs them down completely, lay the kayak on a thick towel (or similar cushion like a sleeping pad) on a tarpaulin, and drag the tarpaulin. When you get there, look at all the scratches and tears in the tarpaulin and the towel! They're much cheaper than your nice kayak.
I'm a little woman and when I need a hand to carry my kayaks I smile at a healthy-looking stranger and ask them politely if they can help me carry my boat. "Just to the water right there, or just to my car right there," I say. People like to be helpful. Smile and be friendly. Don't drag your kayak!