How dry is dry?

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

ztbishop

How dry is dry?

Post by ztbishop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 am

Being the "OCD" type of guy I am, I've always left my kayak taken apart to dry out for a day or two before storing away. I realize that a few days of a soaked kayak in a bag can be disasterous. What about those small amounts of water that are hard to get out of the very front and back (behind the black plates), or the TINY bits of water that might go through the gray material to the tubes...is a little water OK as long as it's not sitting in a bag for several weeks?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am

A little bit of water is okay. Basically if you are using it on a regualr basis, you do not need to completely dry it everytime. Just wipe out any big puddles of water. Every so often, pull it apart to give it a decent dry. When putting it away for a long period of, you want it to be as dry as possible. Any water that gets all the way into the front or back under the black plastic forms shouldn't do any real harm. If you are worried about the kayak fading from sitting out in the sun, you can regularly spray UV protectant on it to help keep it's color. The orange material is a high density polyester which fades less than nylon but it still will over time unless it is kept up.

Jeremy
8)

ztbishop

Post by ztbishop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Great, thanks for the info! :)