How do i clean the outer skin fabric?

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

munk101

How do i clean the outer skin fabric?

Post by munk101 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm

My outer skin fabric of my AdvancedFrame convertible got pretty dirty when someone unknowingly step on it with dirty shoes while it was deflated. The fabric would need to almost be scrubbed to get it clean but I really don't want to damage it. I just want to get the dirt off and just rinsing it off doesn't work.

What can I do? I want my kayak to be beautiful again!

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:06 pm

I recommend using a plastic brush, mild soap diluted with warm water and then rinse clean.

I have used it on the Advanced Frames and it works great =)

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:25 pm

I wash my AE kayaks with a terrytowel facecloth and a little drop of liquid dish soap. Then I rinse the kayak with a garden hose or a bucket of water.
When it's dry, once a year I spray it with 303 protectant.
Any stains that don't come off are no problem for me. One of my kayaks is about four summers old now. There's a little rust stain from where it leaned against my bike. That's a sign this is Real Sports Equipment that Really Gets Used.

justin_ruch1180

Post by justin_ruch1180 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info micahgee..:D

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I typically use liquid hand soap diluted in warm water and a soft brush to gently scrub the surface. Then I rinse it off with water and let dry. I use a spray water repellent made by Kiwi (same people that make polish for shoes). Works really well and doesn't take more than half a can at the most to cover my Expedition. Looks good as new.