It's Been Overinflated! Help!

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

cindyloos

It's Been Overinflated! Help!

Post by cindyloos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I left my 2 - 10.5 AE/AFs with my brother whose family was visiting and staying in a lake cabin. I showed him all the valves, told him he might want to add a little more air in the morning, if needed. When I arrived in the afternoon, my heart almost stopped when I saw that the floors were totally blown up like balloons (how in the world did he think you could sit in that?!) and the main chambers were rock hard. Of course I deflated immediately. The damage has been done to the floors - I'm sure all of the I-Beams broke. I wonder about the main chambers as well. Any advice or comments would be appreciated (besides banning my brother from the pump forever).

sonar

Post by sonar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi cindyloos

Welcome to the forum.

So far as the floor goes i guess it will be a replacment floor you now require.

so far as testing main tubes I am sure a member of the admin team will be able to tell you how to do this.
Something to do with the way the side chambers are divided with an internal membrane..

cindyloos

And another thing ...

Post by cindyloos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 am

Tanks Sonar. Fortunately, it looks like the floors aren't very expensive. I've been reading over-inflation or improper inflation issues on other posts, and it makes me tremble. Brother B. decided he wanted to take his small children for a paddle. Since there isn't enough room for 2 people in them, he was sitting up on back to make room for his son in the cockpit. I stopped that as soon as I saw it, but I hope the 2 main chambers have not been damaged. :arrow:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 am

From the sounds of it, your main tube seems to be okay. Because it is still holding air, that is a good sign. The only damage that may of occured would be if he put all of the air into only one of the main valves. As long as he dispersed the air, you should be fine. If he did however pump all of the air into only one chamber, he could of possibly blown the membrane inside that seperates the two chambers. An easy way to tell is when your kayak is deflated, open up both of the main valves into the deflate position. If you put half of the air into the 1st valve and the kayak doesn't seem to inflate and you can hear air coming out of the second valve, then the membrane has seperated and you now have a main tube with only one chamber instead of two. The kayak will still work, you just don't have the safety of two chambers. I would check this to make sure. If the kayak holds air when you inflate the first valve, then you should be okay. You will just need to replace the floors which can ordered from the replacement parts section.

cindyloos

Post by cindyloos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I have the 2 'yaks temporarily put away until we got some other work out of the way. Tomorrow, first thing, I'll follow your advice to check the chambers. What was I thinking to leave him alone with the pump!?

cindyloos

Post by cindyloos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:44 pm

I mostly disassembled my kayaks tonight to check the two main chambers for damage. I unzipped the sleeves so I could watch the inflation/deflation, and then followed the instructions for sucking all of the air out of them. Then, with valve 2 in the deflate position, I pumped air into valve 1. Air did seem to be escaping valve 2, in the rhythm of the pumping, (but not a hissing sound), so the membranes must be damaged. Is there a way to determine the extent of the damage? I'd really like to keep using them, but some of the places we go, I'd hesitate if I thought we'd get stranded. (Always wear your PFD!) If they are kaput, is there any market for the skins?

Mahalo

sonar

Post by sonar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi
Sorry to hear that the main tubes may be damaged as well.
Contact the nearest stockest of the AF via the website they should be able to help you.

Or you could pm a member of the admin team.

JimD

Post by JimD » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:56 am

Did you continue pumping long enough to half inflate the tube? Because I think I'd expect some air to be forced out of the second tube as the first one starts to expand. Maybe try the first stage of inflation, as usual, then try using the deflate inlet on the pump on the second tube, and see if you can deflate the first tube via the second valve?

If you're floors need replacing anyway, and you've not invested in backbones, it might also be worth checking out the dropstitch floors instead of the standard ones.

JimD

Post by JimD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 am

Just had a new thought. If the main tubes are damaged as well, you have a couple of pre-shaped kayak skins. Why not see if you can make a frame to fit? Maybe checkout http://www.foldingkayaks.org/WP/?page_id=8 for some links and ideas? Before I bought my AE I considered making a folder, and making the skin looked the hardest part. You've got that sorted already!
Of course, you'll need to add buoyancy bags, but think of the room you'll have inside!

cindyloos

Post by cindyloos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:56 am

It's a thought, Jim D. We're not real "do-it-yourself-ers" but it is certainly worth the read. We have a few obligations the next few days, but I'm hoping by mid-week I'll have time to get them back out to try your suggestion of inflate first tube then see if it will deflate by the second tube.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 am

JimD wrote:Did you continue pumping long enough to half inflate the tube? Because I think I'd expect some air to be forced out of the second tube as the first one starts to expand.
Correct. Need to inflate the 1st Chamber at least halfway because there may still be some air trapped in #2. If youdo this and the kayak does not seem to inflate at all and you can continuously hear air coming out of #2 then the membrane is definately damaged and you can either use it as a single chamber or you can contact customer service at info@advancedelements.com to get a new tube.

cindyloos

Post by cindyloos » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks. Will do, and will post report.

John

Post by John » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:39 am

I left my convertible out in the sun in France. I did so day by day. One day there was an almighty explosion heard by everyone in the campsite.

Yes, you've guessed it, the main tubes had exploded. I take full responsibility. I inflated a bit too hard in the first place. Each day I wondered if it was too hot and if Kayak was perhaps too hard but thought it would be all right. Big mistake. Bladder burst and also the cordura sleeve containing it (them). Bladder was beyond repair and sleeve too.

Lesson: don't leave in hot sun and avoid rock hard kayak.

The main UK dealer was very sympathetic and helpful. It was a costly mistake.

cindyloos

I THINK THEY'RE GONNA BE OK!!!

Post by cindyloos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 am

I spent a lot of time yesterday inflating, deflating, listening for air. The last thing I did was (with sleeves open so I could see) inflate one chamber in each kayak, and let them sit to see if the air equalized in them, indicating a broken membrane. I am happy to report, THE MAIN CHAMBERS ARE UNDAMAGED!! YAHOO!!

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.[/u]

JimD

Post by JimD » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 am

That's good news, Cindyloos now get your brother to buy you a couple of new floors :) I should press for the dropstitch ones to make up for all the faffing about he's made you do!

That must have been a heck of a bang John! I bet everyone was looking for a burning tent with gas canisters or something...