Twist Valve does not fit any pump fittings

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bryantdr

Twist Valve does not fit any pump fittings

Post by bryantdr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:37 pm

The user manual says that the twist valve is designed to fit with most pumps. I have taken it to three sprting goods shops and they say they have never seen a pump of any type that can fit to this twist valve. The twist vale on the dreagonfly looks exactly liek to one on the website for replacement parts. It fine for blowing by mouth but it woudl be nice to actually use a pump. Is there some adaptor that you cna buy that adapts to a tire pump size fitting? What am I missing?

Viking

Re: Twist Valve does not fit any pump fittings

Post by Viking » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:59 am

bryantdr wrote:The user manual says that the twist valve is designed to fit with most pumps. I have taken it to three sprting goods shops and they say they have never seen a pump of any type that can fit to this twist valve. The twist vale on the dreagonfly looks exactly liek to one on the website for replacement parts. It fine for blowing by mouth but it woudl be nice to actually use a pump. Is there some adaptor that you cna buy that adapts to a tire pump size fitting? What am I missing?
The very same pump nozzle that fits INTO the main chamber valves, also fit ONTO the twist valves

bryantdr

Post by bryantdr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 am

I went to REI and, even through they sell these inflatabel Kayaks, multiple sales people did not know what type ofvalve fitting was needed.

I bought an air matress handpump becasue it looked like it had a nozzle the right size. Wala - it works. The manual should say "fits most standard air matress pumps" not most standard pumps. The standard is car and bike tire pumps - nowhere near the right size.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:31 am

In the manual, just below the pictures of the valves, it says:
"To begin inflating your kayak, you will need a Bellows Foot Pump or a Double Action Hand Pump."
An air mattress pump is fine for getting the kayak started as well as partially inflating the smaller chambers but to acheive the proper pressure in all chambers, you will need a Bellows Foot Pump or a Double Action Hand Pump.

Jeremy
8)

bryantdr

Post by bryantdr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 am

It is not the type of pump, it is the type of hose that fits into the fittings on the kayak. I went to four sporting goods stores and asked about double action handpumps and bellows footpumps and all they knew about were these items for bicycles. The fittings are completely different for tires. The standard pumps of all types (hand, foot, 12 volt electric, 110 volt electric, rechargeable, etc) come with 4 different nozzles, none of which fit the kayak. I am in the Seattle area, so maybe they only do bicycles here. I said it was for an inflatable kayak, and no one at any of the sporting goods stores knew what type of fitting was needed or had even seen this type of fitting. Obviously, they were not inflatable kayak experts. Again the manual should say something besides, "designed to fit most standard pump fittings".

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:40 pm

The Standard Bellows Foot Pump, Double Action Hand Pump and 12-v electric pumps that most companies sell come with several different attachments on them. They almost all come with one attachment in particular which is 3/4" accross. This is the fitting that fits into the two main valves and over the twist valves. One of the only brands that does not work well is the pumps made by Sevylor. They have tappered fittings and some have fittings that need to be screwed into the valve. These only work with Sevylor boats. The attachments with tappered ends would need to be cut down in order to fit any of the valves.
There are a lot of people in the Seattle area that own our kayaks and I haven't heard of anyone having such a difficult time finding a pump. REI carries them, Sports Authority, West Marine and many of the numerous kayak shops in and around the Seattle area also carry them. They can also be found online through most of these dealers as well as many other websites. We make our own pumps that we sell to these companies. They are the same or similar to the pumps that most other manufacturers make.
If you or anyone has problems in the future finding a particular product, we suggest that you contact us directly and we can direct you to the best source to get the product.

Jeremy
8)