Deflation if exposed to heat

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

pribeiro

Deflation if exposed to heat

Post by pribeiro » Fri May 08, 2015 12:01 am

There's a common rule of thumb for inflatable equipment saying it should not be fully inflated if kept in the dry and exposed to heat.

Right, but I wonder if that also applies for short-ish exposure periods... To be more specific: I’m on a multi-day paddling trip. I stop paddling at, say, 3 o’clock and camp at a beach. There’s no shade, so the kayak is exposed to the sunlight for at least 3 more hours… This will happen every day for several days.

So should I slightly deflate the chambers in those circumstances?

Thanks.
Pedro

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri May 08, 2015 10:19 am

Definitely let some air out if exposed for more than an hour in direct sunlight. You can easily add air before taking off again but it is more difficult to repair a blown tube or floor. This applies especially for the stock floor since it only holds 1 psi and can easily blow a seam creating a large lump in the floor.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon May 18, 2015 1:23 am

On a river camping trip in Alberta (hot summers!) I was careful to let some air out of my Expedition whenever going ashore, even for only an hour to make lunch. It takes only a few moments to puff the floor and main chambers back up again just before launching.