Floor inflation?

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

paddlepr

Floor inflation?

Post by paddlepr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi, I have a AF kayak and because I live in Puerto Rico, I keep wondering if I am inflating it correctly. Even after reading the solutions for this issue in this forum. As you all know, there is always the issue of overheating over here. Ive seen this kayak shining in the water as it receives plenty of sun. So first I would like to make this question.
While the kayak is in water should i worry of overexpanding air in the chambers? I imagine that the water would be helpful cooling these main chambers.
Now to the floor. I start inflating it with a foot pump, but I tried finishing it with my mouth and i can make it pretty stiff :roll: . Is it possible to overinflate the floor this way? I am 5"10' and 185#.
Great forum by the way.
paddlepr :wink:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:57 am

It is still possible to overinflate this way. You do not want the floor to be stiff. You still want to be able to apply moderate pressure with your finger and be able to touch the bottom of the kayak. If the floor is stiff and you sit on it, it is possible the the pressure from your body can force the air into section of the floor which can seperate an I-beam. An I-beam are the point on the floor that are welded together. Once one seperates, two of the ridges will combine together to form one large ridge. It is harder to sit on this and also can cause your kayak to track to one side more than the other especially if it is off to one side of the floor.
If leaving the kayak out in the sun for an extended period of time, make sure to let some air out of the chambers. When the air expands in the tubes due to the heat of the sun, it will have room to do so. When getting back on the water, you can pump air back into it to top it off. Make sure you bring your pump with you.

Jeremy
8)

paddlepr

Post by paddlepr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks! :D