Inflating for the first time

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

elanawest

Post by elanawest » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:36 am

OK, what's the secret to attaching the pump to the boat? Does it involve duct tape? Or two people? :shock:

Damien

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Nope, just follow the directions and turn the valve in the right direction. It should be in the "Up" position and then press the pump on. It just presses down, assuming you have the right sort of pump. I have both the AE foot pump and double action one.

waddle

Post by waddle » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Good question! I just got my AF 10.5 and I love it, but inflating the 2 main valves is a pain. I just assumed I needed 3 hands. I have the Advanced Elements double action pump with a gauge. It's not a problem with the the twist valves, but with the 2 main valves, I have to hold the pump attachment to the valve with one hand and pump with the other. I haven't found another way to attach it. I'm thinking about going with the duct tape option.

Damien, if you could elaborate on how you've gotten the pump opening to stay attached to those valves, while you're pumping, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

elanawest

Post by elanawest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:31 am

I was using the pump that came with the kayaks--no problem with the opening or closing the valves, just keeping the pump in. No gauge on the pumps that come with it, unfortunately --wouldn't you think that if inflation was important, it would have one? But Waddle's right, you do need three hands. Why don't they thread in? :roll:

paddlepr

Post by paddlepr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 am

I have a AE foot pump, the valve adaptor fits inside the main valves. With a little pressure and a twist the adaptor stays put while i completely fill the AF 10.5. This is how it is working for me. Hope it works for you.

waddle

Post by waddle » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks, paddlepr. I've tried that, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Maybe I've just been too gentle. I'll try adding a bit more pressure and see if that works.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:44 am

The pumps work with most valves but sometimes there just isn't that 100% fit. To correct this, a simple solution is to put some masking tape around the attachment on the pump. This will increase the diameter of the attachment and also provide some grip so that it will fit tighter into the valve.

Jeremy
8)

Damien

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:12 pm

I have the Sevylor double action pump and the AE foot pump and with both I just push it down on the main valves and it stays put. No need for three hands at all.

waddle

Post by waddle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:44 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:The pumps work with most valves but sometimes there just isn't that 100% fit. To correct this, a simple solution is to put some masking tape around the attachment on the pump. This will increase the diameter of the attachment and also provide some grip so that it will fit tighter into the valve.

Jeremy
8)
Great idea! Thanks, Jeremy.

thinkpolicy

Post by thinkpolicy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:59 am

I use a coleman double action pump. It doesn't have a connection that fits well with my AE 10.5, but if i keep the valve in the closed position and hold the nozzle against the valve and pump with one hand it pumps it up just fine. It's awkward, but the kayak gets as stiff as it needs to be.

I have to do the same thing on the smaller tubes, those ones are harder because i need the extra hand to twist them shut while pumping air into them.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:15 am

I had to wrap duct tape about 3/4 of the way around the outside of the pump nozzle to keep it from popping out of the main chamber valves during inflation. It's a low-tech fix, but it works.

billyV

first time, trying to inflate the two main

Post by billyV » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Just got my advanced frame and looking forward to the water this weekend - if I can only get it inflated, first thing I bought this as a package from airkayak with the Sevylor double action RB2500 pump, the pump fittings do not fit the value opening without holding this in place - since the pump came with the kayak you would think it would be a perfect fit - screw on tight,
but anyway - if I use one hand and hold it in place and pump I can manage the chamber one - chamber two is much more difficult, when the chamber starts to fill and you try to take the pump away - you loose air until you can close the chamber - is that how it works......

I hear folks talking about the duck tape option - for a new machine of this caliber, you would think there would be a better way - does AE sell a fitting specifically designed for the spring value?

thanks

robbyw

Re: first time, trying to inflate the two main

Post by robbyw » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 pm

AE does sell a fitting for the spring valve but it only works with AE pumps

I hear folks talking about the duck tape option - for a new machine of this caliber, you would think there would be a better way - does AE sell a fitting specifically designed for the spring value?

thanks[/quote]

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 am

If you do not have a AE pump but you have one with pressure gauge just use the following (got it from Jeremy, who got it from a AE user with the name Michael).

It's simple:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: first time, trying to inflate the two main

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:12 am

billyV wrote:when the chamber starts to fill and you try to take the pump away - you loose air until you can close the chamber - is that how it works......

thanks

Does the Sevylor pump have a gauge? If not, then there is no reason to have the valve open. If it is open, it is in the deflate position. The only reason you would want to have it open otherwise is if you have a pump with a gauge and no attachments on the end that can push and hold the valve down so that you can get an accurate reading on the gauge.

Jeremy